Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

black screen on mac desktop

black screen on mac desktop

Plan: Premium

Device: Macbook Pro 2015

Operating System: Mojave 10 Version 10.14.6

Still have the same problem: Spotify opens on my desktop but nothing displays. I cannot be the only person with this problem. I have tried every solution I could find:

- turning off hardware acceleration

- clearing all cache records and reinstalling (many, many times)

- restarting many, many times

- downloading as a different user on MacBook

- downloading in Safe Mode

Does anyone have a solution??

4 Replies

Hey @mcyc, welcome to the Community.

Hope you're doing great!

Could try following the steps from this Spotiy Answer?

If that doesn't work I'd suggest reinstalling macOS by going into Recovery mode (hold CMD+R while booting up) then click on Install macOS option.

Thanks 🙂

The same issue here when i have my output set to anything other than internal speakers. With output to my Sonos, via Airplay or Spotify Connect, all playlistst remain empty. VERY annoying, because every time i want to search i have to switch back to internal speakers. Plenty of updates of Spotify, but nothing ever improves.

Forgot to say that window is black for 5 minutes after starting up Spotify. After that controls and sidebar appear 1 by 1, but playlists remain empty with a rotating wheel.

I'm curious if problem has been solved for Topic Starter and what solved it. What eventually solved it for me was: Back to HFS+. It was not a Spotify-problem, but a problem with APFS. So, if you're using APFS and still have problems with Spotify, extremely slow boots, etc., consider to switch back to HFS+. My Mini late 2012 works much faster/smoother now.

Suggested posts