Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

deleting songs from library

Solved!

deleting songs from library

There are all these RANDOM songs in my library that I can't get rid of!

Help.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Items should only show up in your library if they are on your computer, or in a playlist.  Chances are they are songs located in your downloads, music folder, or in iTunes.  Try this: Open Spotify, click the Spotify menu at the top of the screen, then select Preferences.  In the preferences screen, look in the section labeled 'Local Files.'  Uncheck one item at a time, then recheck your library for the random songs you are referring to.  If they go away, you will have found the source of the songs in your library that you don't want.

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

@tomwaitsfan1 wrote:

Somehow I've managed to Sync my iTunes library into my Spotty Library and Local Files. I don't want them there. Anyone know how to remove them/un-sync?

Cheers.

Hey! Welcome to the community 🙂 

Head to Edit/Spotify > Preferences and untick all of the Local File source boxes. 

Then go to the "Local Files" tab on the left, select a track, then highlight all (via Ctrl/Cmd+a or Edit > Select All), right click and select "Unlink Track". 

No more local files 😉 

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

View solution in original post

28 Replies
Marked as solution

Items should only show up in your library if they are on your computer, or in a playlist.  Chances are they are songs located in your downloads, music folder, or in iTunes.  Try this: Open Spotify, click the Spotify menu at the top of the screen, then select Preferences.  In the preferences screen, look in the section labeled 'Local Files.'  Uncheck one item at a time, then recheck your library for the random songs you are referring to.  If they go away, you will have found the source of the songs in your library that you don't want.

I had an album that didn't exist on my hard drive and could NOT be deleted from my Spotify!

I just used your advice^^^ and it worked perfectly. Thank you!

I am unable to get rid of songs in my library.  I went under Local Files in Preferences and uncheked everything.

Well If you want to delete some songs you first go to Local Files You click on the one you don't want if it's more than 1 Press command before clicking the other one and when your done clicking all of them press the delete button and when your done you look in your library your song(s) are gone!! 🙂

TT0431

I am trying to remove songs from my library that are NOT on my computer, they came from spotify's database. This is problematic as I now have the songs to transfer to my computer and do not want duplicate track listings. Please help.

@Sylaous wrote:

I am trying to remove songs from my library that are NOT on my computer, they came from spotify's database. This is problematic as I now have the songs to transfer to my computer and do not want duplicate track listings. Please help.

Hey 🙂 

Your library will collect all of your local files as well as any tracks you have in any of your playlists. So removing the corresponding tracks from your playlists will remove them from the library.

In regards to adding local files, as long as the Spotify client can link those tracks to the tracks in its catalogue (which happens automatically when you import) then it shouldn't show the duplicates in your library since it knows you own the track. 

Peter

Peter

Somehow I've managed to Sync my iTunes library into my Spotty Library and Local Files. I don't want them there. Anyone know how to remove them/un-sync?

Cheers.

Marked as solution

@tomwaitsfan1 wrote:

Cheers.

Hey! Welcome to the community 🙂 

Head to Edit/Spotify > Preferences and untick all of the Local File source boxes. 

Then go to the "Local Files" tab on the left, select a track, then highlight all (via Ctrl/Cmd+a or Edit > Select All), right click and select "Unlink Track". 

No more local files 😉 

Peter

Peter

Hey Peter,    DUDE!!!!   Fixed in a trice. Many thanks both for your fast response and for your clear concise remedial instruction.  Worked a treat.   Ha! They're messin' with the wrong guy here!!

FYI: I think I now know how this suddenly happened. I had a Spotty problem a couple of weeks back, had to de/re-install. Spotty must tick those library folders as default. Also, the prog was taking an age to open, not surprising when I tell you in excess of 24,000 music files were sucked in from my iTunes library.

Anyway, all's well now. Thank you again

Cheers

den.

No worries den, enjoy your music! 🙂 

Peter

Peter

Hi Peter,

A similar problem occurs on my Windows desktop Spotify (9.9.1.57): can't remove Library items; these items are neither flagged, part of a playlist or existing locally (as I understand that these properties affect 'deletability'). The context menu keeps showing me a greyed out delete option.

Have any solution?

Thanks in advance!

Hi. Files shown in the library must be either local files or included in a playlist. If the have a note symbol in a rectangle showing, they are local files and you should be able to delete them from the local files view. However, this will only delete them from your library, not physically from your desktop and will be reimported the next time you restart spotify unless you uncheck the imprt options in settings.

Another way to identify local files is if right-clicking shows the option to open the containing folder.

Thanks Joe,

I did some experiments, and things became clear to me:

A 'title' (record, item) in the library is either a favorite, a local file or part of a playlist (created by yourself); deleting is not possible explicitly, but can be done by deleting a file on the other lists, or if the item is marked as favorite, it can be deleted from the library by 'unstaring' the item. Not directly intuitive, but workable..

cheers,

Igor

Glad you sorted it out 🙂

I have alot of unwanted songs that are old  in my Library on Spotify that I also starred and I want to delete them and put new songs, how do I do this?

@tracychester10 wrote:

I have alot of unwanted songs that are old  in my Library on Spotify that I also starred and I want to delete them and put new songs, how do I do this?

Did you happen to read jwylot@Joe's post, 3 posts above your own?

Hello Good Day:

I tried your solution Mr. But it did not remedy the situation. The songs are still in my library ;(

Thank you,

Ms. Frustrated

It won't let me change the settings?

Cheers.

This also happened to me. I tried following your instructions below but after unticking the Local File source boxes and returning to to the 'Local Files' tab there was nothing in there. However, if I go into my songs all the songs from my itunes library are still there. Please help!

Suggested posts