Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

desktop app on mac has unbalanced volume when connecting headphones or speaker with aux

Solved!

desktop app on mac has unbalanced volume when connecting headphones or speaker with aux

Using a macbook pro and this issue only started up within the past few days. I plugged an aux into my mac to connect it to my desktop speakers and it sounded as if the right speaker was the only one playing music. Upon inspection the left speaker was playing sound (didn't sound weird or muddled, just quiet) but was being overshadowed by the right one's normal volume. I thought it had to be an issue with the speakers until I put heaphones on (connected to mac) and had the same issue. The right side was performing while the left was audible but far too quiet. I have deleted the app and all related files at least twice and upon each re-install the issue persists. To make sure it wasn't a speaker or headphone fluke, I plugged my headphones into my iphone and it played songs perfectly balanced. I have no idea how to fix this problem on the spotify desktop app on the mac.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

I have a couple of things for you to try. I will do everything I can to help you sort this out. Firstly, go into the settings on your desktop app and select/deselect the 'Set the same volume for all songs'. Close the app, and re-open it.

If this doesn't work, I'm afraid you will have to clean reinstall it for a third time, this time however, use a third party application such as https://www.appzapper.com to remove the Spotify cache which stays on the computer even when you delete the app. One of the folders may be "corrupt".

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Hey @evanglass, Welcome!

That's not alright! Does this happen with Spotify only or does it happen with other apps too? Also, could you check the audio balance settings in: 'Settings > General > Accessibility > Hearing? Make sure Mono is not ticked (see screen capture)

Let me know how that goes,

Carl 🙂

Screen Shot 2018-02-25 at 03.51.33.png

Thanks for replying. It's very specifically the just the spotify desktop app. The sound is balanced in the headphones and on the speakers if I play youtube or any other media aside from spotify. The mono box was not selected. 

Marked as solution

I have a couple of things for you to try. I will do everything I can to help you sort this out. Firstly, go into the settings on your desktop app and select/deselect the 'Set the same volume for all songs'. Close the app, and re-open it.

If this doesn't work, I'm afraid you will have to clean reinstall it for a third time, this time however, use a third party application such as https://www.appzapper.com to remove the Spotify cache which stays on the computer even when you delete the app. One of the folders may be "corrupt".

Updated my computer and used the third party deleter. Upon re-install all was well again. Thanks for your help!

Hi There,

The problem area could be your headphones. Sometimes, headphones that are damaged/dirty create volume issues when you connect them to your PC/Mac. Here's how you can clean your headphones quickly: https://headphonesproreview.com/how-to-clean-headphones/. This is how I fixed my Sennheiser HD 700 headphones. It's a tried and tested method.

Suggested posts