Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[feedback] Spotify is terrible at detecting a re-connected internet connection

[feedback] Spotify is terrible at detecting a re-connected internet connection

I've seen this happening for months now, over about 8 updates. Here's the situation:

- Be playing music at work

- Close laptop, take it home

- Have weekend

- Use laptop at home over wireless

- Come back to work 

- Plug in to ethernet

- Confirm am plugged in to Ethernet, not wireless 

- Browse news, reddit, etc

- Go to play some music and start working

- Spotify: "No internet connection detected blah blah"

At this point I've been here and plugged in to the network for 20 minutes. Clearly I have an internet connection, reddit and google news are working fine. Why does spotify still think there is no internet? I can ping spotify.com with no issues: 

$ ping spotify.com
PING spotify.com (194.132.198.228): 56 data bytes
64 bytes from 194.132.198.228: icmp_seq=0 ttl=43 time=149.801 ms
64 bytes from 194.132.198.228: icmp_seq=1 ttl=43 time=147.816 ms
^C
--- spotify.com ping statistics ---
2 packets transmitted, 2 packets received, 0.0% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 147.816/148.808/149.801/0.993 ms

It's actuall way faster to just close spotify and restart it. 

The point here is: your code to detect and resume an interrupted internet connection is not working well at all. This has been the case for quite a while, across about 8 updates. This should be getting better but it's not. 

9 Replies

This is happening again today. 1.0.15.gf21970bd.

I was planning to open an issue about how it cannot detect internet after my computer resume from a sleep, but seeing how poorly spotify staff attend to issues and having been victim of their constant feature removal, I've decided not to.

Hey @chizdippler and @edokan,

Thanks for getting in touch!

Apologies for the delayed response, we just came across this thread. Keep in mind that performing a clean reinstall always ensures that your app is on the most current version, plus has the added advantage that if there are any faulty installation files that might be causing such connectivity issues, they get removed and built anew from the ground up. You can find out how to perform a clean reinstall here.

It's also a good idea to make sure that Spotify has all permissions enabled and is excluded from your firewall and antivirus software.

Hope you find this useful. Keep us posted how you get on.

Mihail Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

I am having the exact same case as yours. I try turning the wifi off and on, force quit Spotify, and reopening but it still does not work. it is detecting music playing on other devices though. it is ridiculous to not have proper customer support on a paid software.

Hey @adnanfahed,

Thanks for reaching out to the Community.

Can you confirm that you've tried the troubleshooting steps posted above? If that doesn't fix things, you can also check your host files for Spotify entries and remove any you find. Even though it was written for another topic, this page has instructions on how to do this.

Hope this helps. Keep us posted on how it goes. 

Mihail Moderator

Hey @Mihail,

Are you a joke? "Just " coming across this issue FIVE years after it was created and giving a pre-scripted answer is an insult.

1- I am a developer, a desktop developer to be exact. It is my responsibility to create a working update/installation system so my applications work the way they were designed to do. If updates will break the application, what is the purpose?

2- Spotify is a bottomless pit of horrors when it comes to development. You have to support a myriad of obsolete devices and services just because somehow some sales people decided it was a good decision to support all esoteric devices out there. May be it is time to clean up the house.

3- You guys are constantly remove features (plugins / lyrics?) and existing features does not work consistently (unlike button works exactly when?). In theory it should work better, but it does not. Less is more? No.

4- Your support is pathetic at best. I understand that your user-base is so huge, no one can do anything about it anymore, but please spare us the uninstall/reinstall procedure. Maybe I should also close my computer and wait for 30 seconds? Maybe unlock and then lock the doors of my house?

5- Problem is very clearly stated and it is very obvious it is beyond a support guy to handle, but a developer. Open your **bleep** issue tracker and open an issue. Write that "On some desktop/laptop devices, resuming computer from a sleep causes spotify to lose network connectivity and it fails to detect when connection is established. Maybe we should rely something other than windows network connectivity events. May be just a stupid "ping every 10 seconds if no network connection" will do wonders, what say you guys?"

6- And Mihail, don't you dare responding to this message with your standard responses. Let's keep this civil.

Yuppie, this is the feature they constantly have / don't remove.

Hey @edokan,

Thanks for posting here.

We will need to ask for you to follow our Guidelines when posting in the Community and remember to keep a friendly tone.

In this case we'd recommend that you contact our support team. The folks there can investigate this further and can also check your account.

Ver Moderator

Hello @Ver,

I sincerely apologize, I don't know what took over me? maybe it is because of years of frustration for that you constantly removed features throughout the years, or it is because you consistently ignored an infuriating bug for years only to tell us that you have seen it recently, like after five years of silence?

I sincerely apologize again, for being sarcastic. But, as being a software developer myself, I strongly believe a paying customer like has a right to request bugs to be fixed in a timely manner, or at least make a mock of it after it was not fixed a few years or six.

I sincerely apologize once again for you understanding of friendly tone of an angry customer does not match your expectations. Let me assure you this is me being friendly against an indifferent company without a care for their customers.

For the last time I sincerely apologize that instead of hiring more developers or testers or real support/issue tracking system to track and solve issues, your company spends money on guys/gals like you to be the human shield against frustrated customers. You personally are blameless @Vic, but @Mihail is very much not. One just cannot barge into a subject after five years and say sorry I missed.

Best Regards

Your friendly customer

Suggested posts