Premium

Country

Australia

Device

Macbook Pro early 2015

Operating System

Mojave 10.14.6

My Question or Issue

i have spotify downloaded onto my mac, and i opened it the other day to see a whole new front and a bunch of features that i am always using missing. why can i not customise my playlists names and the picture on the front?

also i am unable to see artists analytics and my profile clearly as i have all of the old playlists that i 'liked' on my profile front. and a bunch of other things.

it is so hard to build and manage my playlists and it makes me frustrated every time i go to use the app. the new look of spotify is also frustrating but is something i can get used to. since all of my devices are apple, i am considering switching to apple music because all of the missing features. using it on my iphone was frustrating enough, not being able to navigate through it well, but now it is actually easier to use on my phone.

sorry for complaining a lot, but ive used spotify for so long and i have loved it until this.

does anyone know about the new update and look on the mac/desktop and when or how we can get these missing features back?

12 Replies

It's like this on all platforms; I have a PC and it's the same. I really don't like it.

I came here to report the same issue on desktop. I don't know what update this is but it is terrible. No access to local files, playlists no longer have the date I added the songs, and it's not easy to order the items by artist or album. The artist page no longer shows all the tracks on a single page (you have to go into each album individually) and it's not easy to compare the years for each album. Not to mention what happened the Artist Playlists? Streaming numbers for the top songs are also gone? Please go back to the previous UI! I'm not afraid to try new things, but removing useful features seems like a poor way to start a new version.

Hey there @luellaa, @mjtroj and @angk

Thanks for reaching out to the Community about this. 

We’re often testing and launching improvements and new features. This means you might see something on the app your friend doesn’t, or get a new feature to try only temporarily. Check out this help article for more info about test features.

We’d also suggest you go to this Live Idea created by our users and add your vote to it by clicking on the +VOTE button. We always take new ideas and feedback into consideration to improve the app. Here you can read more on how ideas work.

As a heads-up, it's good to know that the higher the number of votes an idea gets, the more likely it is for the idea to be implemented 🙂 

Hope this helps. Let us know if you have any more questions. 

"improvements and new features"

@Ivan I think you mistyped, because this update has nothing but downgrades and removal of features. Name one feature that was added, please.

"you might see something on the app your friend doesn’t"

Another mistype. You mean my friends might see something on the app that I don't. My friends are seeing: their local files, streaming numbers, playlist sorting by artist/album/date added, artist playlists, discography view, friends data, and more.

"a new feature to try"

Third mistype. This is not new, this is the web app. If I wanted to try it out, I would have just used my browser. I go through the trouble of downloading and installing a desktop app for a reason. It has all the features that convinced me to pay for spotify to begin with.

"the higher the number of votes an idea gets, the more likely it is for the idea to be implemented"

If you need some kind of democratic show of hands from users to tell you that severely downgrading your app is a bad idea, then this desktop app is doomed. If any actual developer thinks this is a good idea, they need to come on here and explain why. Without good communication you're only going to upset your customers.

Instead of responding to our complaints by telling us to complain somewhere else, can you offer some advise on what we can do within the app as it is? What recommendations do you have for me to get the most out of the current app? Are there any alternatives or work arounds that mimic the features I miss?

I have the same issue! I posted about this also but whatever thread gets the most attention to hopefully fix this insane issue.

@ spotify rep: that's nonsense. this isn't some "beta" issue being tested! this is a total overhaul, how do you not have song play analytics as well as songwriter credits and all the other things mentioned. that's not a beta feature. are you guys toying with the idea of getting rid of analytics???? 

what kind of nonsense games are these? go here, do this, do that. We are regular customers, not some nerds in a computer science club wth is this. Just fix this garbage update, I've had spotify basically since the start of its availably in the USA and this is the single worst update.

Would also add to the list of complaints something as simple as being able to select multiple songs at once to drag/copy into another playlist, or delete is not functioning. The agents aren't even aware it doesn't work.  Spoken to 5 agents now and none of them seem to be using a computer made by this little company named after a fruit? I guess Spotify never heard of it, so doesnt have agents that work with it so can troubleshoot properly?  Each gives me a stock answer they read from a manual.  I just joined Spotify but I've already wasted more time trying to understand it than use. Will just go back to Rhapsody which is simpler, but it works

Just wanted to add my voice of frustration to this thread. Many of the features I used regularly (custom playlist images / descriptions, ease of moving and deleting songs within the desktop app, selecting multiple songs) are all missing in the newest update, and it's causing me a lot of dismay. Please fix!

This new version is absolutely horrible!!!

Please put back all the old features... mainly playlist management.

If it will be like that for a while I will definitely change player!

Absolutely disgraceful...

I see no helpful responses or improvements since they unleashed this "2001" version.  Too bad no one in quality control tested the app before they forced all their users to accept it. Pathetic that even the most basic of tasks can't be performed "e.g., select multiple songs at once, clear your queue with one button, play a playlist consistently without switching back to the queue (which again can't be deleted easily)).  Downgrading subscription back to free after trial period over.  Thats about the value of it. Zero.

This is so frustrating!! I can't even see the lengths of the songs in my playlists without selecting each individual song to see the length once it starts playing.  How is any of this considered an upgrade?

This new update is terrible. It seems like I find a new stupid, worthless change every time I use it. Not to mention it is buggy and painfully slow. Who thought it was a good idea removing the search window from the homepage? Playlist creation from albums no longer incorporates the artist's name making playlists impossible to identify at a glance (but the iPhone app still uses both [artist - album], go figure). Analytics missing. Playlists no longer have a default column for artist. Did I mention how terribly, awfully, pull my hair out, jump off a tall building, slow it is? It's as if Spotify assigned this update to its most experienced programmer with the instructions to sabotage the user experience in every way possible.

Suggested posts