fraig
Casual Listener

Premium Family Plan

UK

Device

Macbook Pro 13inch Early 2015

Operating System

Mac OS 10.14.5

In the last few days, whenever I pause music on the desktop app, when I come back to it later and press play, the seek/time bar moves along as if the track is playing, but there is no audio. After about 3-4 seconds, a blue warning message appears at the top saying "Can\t play the current track". This has happened on my playlists, collab playlists, albums and spotify created playlists (discover weekly etc)

I'm not offline. The blue offline message DOES NOT show. The internet connection works in other applications, and also in Spotify (eg if I start browsing artist content or doing searches for previously unsearched content, it all works).

The only way I can get music to play is buy quitting the app and starting it again.

10 Replies
Highlighted

Re: "Can't play current track" after pausing

8_i6z45-bnm8j
Regular
This has started happening to me too, but only after i started using Bluetooth headphones. Did you start using another Bluetooth device or something?
Highlighted

Same problem!

milk_milk
Casual Listener

I'm using a 12" Macbook from 2017. Since I started to use my new Bluetooth headphones, this issue has been bothering me. This issue only seems to occur when I am on Mac with Bluetooth headphones. It greatly frustrates me as well. 

Highlighted

Re: Same problem!

8_i6z45-bnm8j
Regular
What headphones are you using milk_milk? Mine are Sennheiser HD 4.50BTNCs. i just want to see if it's a headphone-specific issue or if it's the Mac's fault.
Highlighted

fraig
Casual Listener

I am using bluetooth earphones yes. But I have been using the same ones for a few months. My earphones are Jaybird Vista. Bluetooth 5, although my mac only supports Bluetooth 4.2 (I think).

To clarify, when the problem happens, audio from other sources (youtube, microsoft teams etc) work fine, so it's not a problem with the earphones.

Highlighted

8_i6z45-bnm8j
Regular
Yeah other apps work fine with mine too. I just tried turning crossfade on, but set it as 0 seconds and it seems to have fixed the issue for some reason.
Highlighted

8_i6z45-bnm8j
Regular
Edit: Doesn't work anymore

8_i6z45-bnm8j
Regular
Unless you're an iPhone user and you use the Handoff setting, I'd suggest turning it off. After i turned it off, my headphones stopped the audio stuttering and so far i haven't had the can't play song issue. Something to do with that it runs at the same frequency and disrupts the headphone connection. Even if it doesn't stop the 'can't play song' error i think it's worth a shot because it improves audio quality as well. It's in System Preferences under General.
Highlighted

milk_milk
Casual Listener

I tried turning the feature off. However, the problem persists. Nevertheless, thank you.

Highlighted

nicktayloruk
This has been happening to me too, for quite a while. I also use Bluetooth headphones, so maybe this is part of the reason, although I don't need to pause via the headphones for this problem to occur.
SUGGESTED POSTS