Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

"Show Desktop overlay when using media keys" bug

"Show Desktop overlay when using media keys" bug

Hey the "Show Desktop overlay when using media keys" option is broken. I have it set to OFF which does nothing when Spotify opens. You have to go in, turn the option ON then OFF again for it to take effect, every single time you open Spotify.

This has only started happening since most recent update that I got.

Plan

Free/Premium

Country

Ireland 

Device

Desktop / Laptop PC

Operating System

Windows 10

My Question or Issue

Hey the "Show Desktop overlay when using media keys" option is broken. I have it set to OFF which does nothing when Spotify opens. You have to go in, turn the option ON then OFF again for it to take effect, every single time you open Spotify.

This has only started happening since most recent update that I got.

7 Replies

having the same problem. The button says it is off (greyed out) but the stupid window still shows up everytime I pause or play. Once I turn it on then back off, it will stay off and work normal till next day. Only happened recently as well. 

Same issue here. This started after updating to 1.0.82.447.

Same issue here

OS Info:

Windows 10 Enterprise

Version 1709

OS Build 16299.431

Spotify Info:

Premium: Yes

Version: 1.0.82.447.g975ad224

Same issue, started occuring like a week ago.
Windows 10 Educational 64bit. build 1709
Spotify version: 1.0.82.447.g975ad224

How to occur the bug in spotify:
Toggle off the overlay.

Change track and notice that the overlay does not cover half your screen.
Restart your computer.
Open spotify, and change track, notice that the overlay is covering half your screen.
Go to settings, and toggle it on and off again. And the overlay is now gone.

The bug may also occur randomly if spotify is up for an extended period of time. (Not sure.)

Same issue. Windows 10 Pro.

Hey @BrianLelas,

I am sorry to see that you are having that issue too.

Don't worry Spotify is working to fix that issue on the upcoming updates.

In the meantime download this software to help you get rid of the issue, until it is fixed.

Have a nice day 🙂

I have the exact same issue. OS: Win 10 Enterprise (v17134.112 fully patched), Spotify Desktop v1.0.83.318.g6c07039d.

Like others have said, to reproduce: 1. start Spotify desktop and start playing a track. (assumption: "Show desktop overlay when using media keys" setting set to OFF) 2. click off app to lose focus, 3. use keyboard media keys, notice that media overlay is displayed, despite the desired setting. 4. go to settings, turn that setting ON. 5. click off app to lose focus, 6. use media keys (media overlay displays), 7. return to settings, and turn that setting OFF. 8. Click off app to lose focus one last time, 9. use media keys NOTE: media overlay NOT displayed, as desired.

These steps need to be repeated every time the app starts up.

Hoping for a resolution soon.

Originally posted about this a month ago

this is ignored at startup.png

Suggested posts