Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

"Spotify can't play this right now." Songs stop after seconds.

Solved!

"Spotify can't play this right now." Songs stop after seconds.

I have tried everything I've seen here: deleted the Library files, restarted the app, reinstalled the app.
Mac OS Mojave 10.14.4, Macbook Pro 13-inch 2017.Screenshot 2019-04-22 at 19.58.42.png

139 Replies

I have the same issue at my pc at work. Came out of the blue - used to work, now (mostly) doesn't.

Three or four songs do play - the rest play less than a second, then skips to the next. Uninstalled, reinstalled, checked for new drivers, etc.

Tried the web-page version. Same issues.

Installed an old version as suggested above - works perfectly. This is a Spotify software issue. I pay for premium - should be getting a credit for it not working for 2 weeks.

Reinstalled the client on my work computer, still can't play the album. It's just that album specifically, for me. It won't play anywhere: not on my phone, or in the web player, or on the desktop app. What gives?

Same issue here - music plays on any other device on the same network.

Installed Windows updates, uninstalled / reinstalled the app, uninstalled / reinstalled audio drivers, deleted local*.bnk files, disabled hardware acceleration.

Started happening for me yesterday - random tracks from albums would not play - now nothing plays except local files.

Plan

Premium

Country

UK

Device

PC

Operating System

Windows 10 v1809 (OS Build 17763.437)

App Version

1.1.5.152.gf0f488f1 (Windows Store version)

I posted this before, I'm not sure if my earlier comment was deleted or did not go through. Apparently, the Spotify client has a problem handling errors concerning range requests when the network it runs in uses Sophos UTM.

The error messages look like this:

15:40:13.864 I [cdn_chunk_downloader.cpp:132 ] Requesting data (0 -> 524288) from CDN url: ...
15:40:13.893 I [cdn_chunk_downloader.cpp:132 ] Requesting data (131072 -> 655360) from CDN url: ...
15:40:13.896 I [dns.cpp:60 ] Resolved ... to ...
15:40:13.927 E [cdn_chunk_downloader.cpp:367 ] Unknown resource size
15:40:13.927 E [cdn_chunk_downloader.cpp:317 ] CDN failure 131072->655360. Error: download_no_size (5). Http: 416.

The computer that I am having issues with has Sophos too. It seems to be a Sophos issue, not a Spotify issue.

From the thread you posted,

"In UTM 9.6, if the web server says that it supports range requests (Accept-Ranges: bytes) the UTM never  changes the header.  Therefore the client thinks that range request is supported.  The client tries to do a range request and fails with 416.  Some clients are ok with the range request failure and try again with a full file, some clients are not ok with it."

Good job @volleimer - I didn't think to look for an undocumented log file. Not impressed with Spotify support - all suggestions are the low hanging fruit - reboot your pc, delete some files, re-install the client. For more technical issues like there, they'res no support at all.

Spotify could fix their client to catch the 416 error and request the whole file, but Sophos should change the header in the UTM request to remove the option of the range-request. The Spotify client is just a re-branded web browser. If it was a proper app, this wouldn't be an issue.

@volleimer wrote:

I posted this before, I'm not sure if my earlier comment was deleted or did not go through. Apparently, the Spotify client has a problem handling errors concerning range requests when the network it runs in uses Sophos UTM.

The error messages look like this:

15:40:13.864 I [cdn_chunk_downloader.cpp:132 ] Requesting data (0 -> 524288) from CDN url: ...
15:40:13.893 I [cdn_chunk_downloader.cpp:132 ] Requesting data (131072 -> 655360) from CDN url: ...
15:40:13.927 E [cdn_chunk_downloader.cpp:367 ] Unknown resource size
15:40:13.927 E [cdn_chunk_downloader.cpp:317 ] CDN failure 131072->655360. Error: download_no_size (5). Http: 416

@volleimer 

I came to a similar conclusion. It works on my cellphone hotspot, works on my home network (without Sophos equipment) ... but at the office we have several Sophos devices...

Will have to look into the link you posted and see if we can fix this here 🙂 If we can, many isers will be happy... but not all clients suffer from this.

Cheers and have a good weekend!

Started having this issue just this morning on my Windows PCs at home. I'm running the Sophos UTM and sure enough, disabling antivirus scanning in the Web Filtering, filter action, solves the issue.

So, something must've changed suddenly. Disabling AV on my firewall isn't really a solution.

Desktop issue started for me Friday 5/3/19. Some songs will play all the way through. App works on Android phone connected to same network.

Country - US

Device model - Mac Pro Late 2013

Device OS and version Mac OS 10.13.6 High Sierra

Spotify app version - 1.1.5.153.gf614956d

Which of the above troubleshooting steps you tried - reinstall/deletion of cache/library files

I have Family

1. Slovakia
  2. Lenovo E440
  3. WIN 7 84x professional
  4. 1.1.5.153.gf614956d
  5. already tried reinstalling several times and clearing cache and turning off hardware acceleration but nothing works
  6. Turbonet, Slovak Telekom

plays the first 7 seconds of a song and after that says cant play current song, spotify still works fine on my  phone 

Country

Indonesia

Device model

iMac (mid 2014)

Device OS and version

macOS 10.14

Spotify app version

Which of the above troubleshooting steps you tried

Reinstall the app. Three times.

Try a different network

Some songs don't play at all, others only play for 7 seconds at best. Spotify Connect doesn't work between mobile and desktop, but works just fine between my Android phone and iPad using the mobile app. Desktop app doesn't see new songs added to a playlist from the mobile app, and even if it does, it can't play them. Also can't use the web player (using Chrome, says "refused to connect", however it can open on the mobile version of Chrome, using "request desktop site"). Tried connecting via mobile hotspot and two different wi-fi networks but no luck. 

Before this issue occured, the desktop app would sometimes not be able to play a song, but plays the next song just fine, and sometimes not show up, or can't be controlled by Spotify Connect. This issue has lasted for at least a week. Maybe two weeks, or three. Please solve this issue. Thanks.

CountryTR

Device model - Dell Inspiron notebook

Device OS and version - core i7 7th Gen. / Windows 10 Enterprise

Spotify app version - 1.1.5.152.gf0f488f1 (Windows Store version)

Which of the above troubleshooting steps you tried 

Uninstall / Reinstall ,and i used different networks

Hi BarefootNick

You may already have found this but - I've just updated my Sophos UTM 9 to
version 9.602-3 and Spotify now works again with AV and filtering on.

Hi DavidGOnBowen,

You may already have found this but - I've just updated my Sophos UTM 9 to
version 9.602-3 and Spotify now works again with AV and filtering on.

I have the same issue on the same OS version.

after following the steps of manually erasing trhe files (because we're still in 1998) the message is no more.

the songs still stop after 2 seconds, but no message, thank you for nothing.

Been having the same error for over a week now. I've followed the instructions of many other threads, that all say the same. I've updated all the drivers on my PC, Re-installed the program multiple times with multiple restarts. Tried the Desktop and Microsoft App versions. It plays on web player, my phone, Google speaker. Every time I try to play any song, i just get the blue bar and the tracks are all skipping straight away. It is clear there is some form of issue but since Spotify have such a poor system for technical support I doubt it will ever get properly resolved.

Hello,

I am expereience the same issue as described in the original post. The first couple seconds of a song will play then the error would appear.

Country
USA

Device model

2017 Mac Mini 

Device OS and version

macOS 10.14

Spotify app version

1.1.5.153.gf614956d

Which of the above troubleshooting steps you tried

I have tried restarting my computer, and the clean reinstall as described. I cannot change networks or users. However, play.spotify.com works fine in my browsers, which should mean the network is not at fault. 

Plan

Premium

Country

Turkey

Device

Dell Inspiron 15 Notebook

Operating System

Windows 10 Enterprise

My Question or Issue

I want to know that if I cancel my premium account can I continue to use the remaining days that I paid? Because its ridiculous that I've been dealing for days to solve that stupid problem in this forum with thousands of comments but still I cant play any songs more than 4sec. Is that what you call your customer service really? Well I do not want to find any answers in this ocean full of comments. i am quite busy for that!

@REIston1,

Thanks - we don't have UTM - we use XG.

Still, installing an old version of Spotify worked... until Spotify upgraded it. I've been looking for a setting that lets me prevent upgrades.

Annoyed at the crappy support.

The problem for me is with Spotify Premium (yep, I'm paying for something I'm not getting) on my HP Windows10. Everything was fine until a few weeks ago.

I've tried re-starting, I've tried reinstalling, I've turned off HW acceleration etc etc. Still no luck, still getting "Spotify can't play this right now" after it has played half a second of each song. However, everything still works fine on my phone under the same account.

Hi,

Are you connected to a network using a Sophos UTM firewall? The problem
appears to be with Windows 10 app and the firewall; any other combination
is fine (iOS/ Android app, web player on Windows 10, etc.)

Suggested posts