Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

"Spotify can't play this right now." Songs stop after seconds.

Solved!

"Spotify can't play this right now." Songs stop after seconds.

I have tried everything I've seen here: deleted the Library files, restarted the app, reinstalled the app.
Mac OS Mojave 10.14.4, Macbook Pro 13-inch 2017.Screenshot 2019-04-22 at 19.58.42.png

139 Replies

Hello! 

Update: I had this issue and this week spotify was updated to v1.1.6.113.gb388fe17 - I no longer have problems with spotify 

v1.1.6.113.gb388fe17 still issues...

1. Country: United States 
  2. Device model: Desktop PC: Dell Precision Tower 3430
  3. Device OS and version: Windows 10 Pro
  4. Spotify app version: 1.1.6.113.gb388fe17 (Windows Store version) [I have also tried using the regular desktop app, i tried this version as an attempt to troubleshoot]
  5. Which of the above troubleshooting steps you tried: Installed/Uninstalled latest version off the website, installed windows store app, tried doing multiple things through command line and changing playback devices, restarted Steam, unplugged my printer cable, sacrificed a small lamb.
  6. (Optional) Your Internet Service Provider (ISP): AT&T

Thanks for the suggestions and thoughts - looks like Sophos might indeed be the problem.

In the end, I was so frustrated that I actually contacted Spotify via Chat (when I could eventually find it!) and the lovely Tatiana fixed everything. It took a fair while to get it done, but all good now.

device model: Apple iMac 27" 5K retina, late 2015

Spotify app: 1.1.6.113.gb388fe17

troubleshooting: tried everything suggested (re-installing, loggin out and in, removing cache, etc.)

I only have this problem at the office. Like some others here we also have a Sophos in our network which has been updated to the latest UTM version last Wednesday. Unfortunately that didn't solve the issue. A colleague of mine has the same problem. He is on a Windows 10 machine with the latest version of the Spotify app installed.

UPDATE - problem solved (on the Sophos side)

Our systemengineer has made a list of domains that are allowed to stream. Sophos returns an error on domains that do not comply to a certain "range". Check the posts from @volleimer @DavidGOnBowen and @arjanvl for more details.

i'm getting the same message.

1. Country - Philippines
  2. Device model - HP 280 G4 MT Business PC
  3. Device OS and version - Windows 10 Pro
  4. Spotify app version - 1.1.6.113.gb388fe17
  5. Which of the above troubleshooting steps you tried - All
  6. (Optional) Your Internet Service Provider (ISP)

My Mac updated to 1.1.7.13766.gf9dc3904 a few minutes ago and now (so far) it's playing songs without the 'can't play this right now' error I've had the last few weeks.

@DaanZ 

Thanks - sounds interesting. Can you post the list?

David

Having the same issue for the past few weeks. What's up Spotify????

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling, restarting computer, other devices work (phone - Android), tried Windows 7 and 10. Please help! I am paying for Preminum subscription.

@DaanZ wrote:

device model: Apple iMac 27" 5K retina, late 2015

Spotify app: 1.1.6.113.gb388fe17

troubleshooting: tried everything suggested (re-installing, loggin out and in, removing cache, etc.)

I only have this problem at the office. Like some others here we also have a Sophos in our network which has been updated to the latest UTM version last Wednesday. Unfortunately that didn't solve the issue. A colleague of mine has the same problem. He is on a Windows 10 machine with the latest version of the Spotify app installed.

UPDATE - problem solved (on the Sophos side)

Our systemengineer has made a list of domains that are allowed to stream. Sophos returns an error on domains that do not comply to a certain "range". Check the posts from @volleimer @DavidGOnBowen and @arjanvl for more details.

Hi,

What do you do on the Sophos UTM???

Thanks.

One of our IT staff updated the list of firewall exceptions for Sophos and Spotify now works. Would be nice if there was a more technical heads up, some log files, advanced features, etc, to help resolve this.

And where do you find does firewall exceptions or are they urls or domains? Because I don't how to tell the team of cibersecurity to add does exceptions.

Thanks.

@DavidGOnBowen @vmgm 

I asked our systemengineer what he changed in the Sophos, in the attached screenshot you can see what he came up with. 

Under Filtering options he has made a new Exception List for Spotiy. He tracked the domains and URLs that Spotify uses to stream  - at the bottom of the screenshot you can see the doamins and URLs he found, but they may be different depending on the country you are in, we are in The Netherlands - and put them in this list. He then made sure that a number of checks are skipped. Below you can see the list.

It works for us, I hope it works for you too. Good luck!

Sophos exception list.jpeg

Just updated to Win 10 app version 1.1.7.13766.gf9dc3904 - now works fine without having to add an exception on the Sophos UTM. Good luck!

Hey there folks,

We really appreciate your patience so far!

Our tech teams have done some magic backstage and this should be now fixed. Could you give it a try and let us know if the issue persists for you?

If so, please make sure to try logging out of your accounts and back in again to shake things up, as well as making sure that the app is rocking the latest version available

Keep us posted 🙂

KaterinaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself! 

Hi @Katerina 

I am currently running 1.1.7.13766.gf9dc3904
Unfortunately still issues with the Sophos XR series. We have disabled mallware and content scanning for spotify.

Screen Shot 2019-05-24 at 10.35.15.png

@Katerina The changes appear to have resolved the issue for me. thanks!

@Katerina 

Still experiencing issues, details below.

Country
Australia

Device model
Mac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014)

Device OS and version
macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 (17G65)

Spotify app version
1.1.7.13766.gf9dc3904

Which of the above troubleshooting steps you tried
Clearing caches
Removal and re-install (using App Cleaner to remove all files)
Changing to a different WIFI network
Tested on iPhone over same work network - worked ok

Additional
Work based Mac
Sophos v9.9.0 running at a network level (unable to amend rules)

Is it possible to provide a repo of previous Spotify app versions so users can rollback if issues are encountered?

@DarkStarjammer wrote:
Been having the same error for over a week now. I've followed the instructions of many other threads, that all say the same. I've updated all the drivers on my PC, Re-installed the program multiple times with multiple restarts. Tried the Desktop and Microsoft App versions. It plays on web player, my phone, Google speaker. Every time I try to play any song, i just get the blue bar and the tracks are all skipping straight away. It is clear there is some form of issue but since Spotify have such a poor system for technical support I doubt it will ever get properly resolved.

*UPDATE*

I have managed to resolve my issue. There were settings in my sound driver controller that I had chagned to try and force 5.1 speaker fill playback. Once a undid this, Spotify started to work again.

Hello,

Still having the issue.

- Updated spotify.

- log out / log in

- restart machine

No changes.

Running spotify via browser app works on the same machine though.

Cheers,

Tautvydas

Suggested posts