"Spotify can't play this right now." Songs stop after seconds.

Re: Issues Playing non favorited songs since I canceled Premium

Rock Star 15
Rock Star 15

Hi there!

I know it sounds simple, but it's often overlooked. Could you try restarting your device? If that doesn't help, try a quick clean reinstall of the app. Just follow these steps.

If possible try updating to macOS Mojave 10.14.4 :)

If you're still having trouble, could you let me know the exact version of Spotify and the exact version of the operating system you're running?

I'll see what I can suggest next!

LoxerRock Star 15
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Re: "Spotify can't play this right now. If you have the file on your computer you can import it

Rock Star 15
Rock Star 15

Hey @arjanvl@topolinoplaya@MrSwamzi & @jgordo,

Please note that some songs may not be available in your country at the moment.

Since all of you are having this issue that's the case.

Check this article for more info.

Thanks and have a nice weekend :)

LoxerRock Star 15

fozzy343
Regular

Loxer,

Thanks for the suggestions.  Unfortunately, the restart didnt help, and the fresh re-install of the desktop player resulted in the same lack of being able to play any song.  Unfortunately I am limited in my ability to update my OS as I have work restrictions on my computer.  I am currently running Sierra 10.12.6, my spotify version after the fresh install is 1.1.5.153

Re: "Spotify can't play this right now. If you have the file on your computer you can import it

arjanvl
Music Fan

Hey Loxer,

Apparently you are not reading the reply I gave. You give the exact same useless answer as before... you sure you're not a spotify autoreply bot??? Please do not replynif you do not have a good addition to make other than hit repeat and trybto get kudo for that.

Songs are available. I can play them everywhere! 

I did find out, and i need to investigate this further, on a different network. Appatently it has to do with spotify connect. The phone or computer tries to connect to one another. 

It works on my home network

It works on my cell network (via hotspot)

It fails on my work network. Need to digg into this... firewall is not the culprit, I am the sysadmin and I am not blocking any port used by spotify. We have plenty of bandwith so we do not need to censor it.

If i have additional info or a real solution, I will post it here.

Have a happy weekend y'all.

Rock Star 15
Rock Star 15

Hey @arjanvl,

Have you tried the steps from this Spotify Answer to see if that helps?

If possible, try it with another account on your devices in your work network to see if it makes any difference.

Let me know how that goes :)

LoxerRock Star 15

Re: Spotify Cant play current song

Rock Star 15
Rock Star 15

Hey @madeupman1, welcome to the Community.

Hope you're doing great!

Have you tried the steps from this Spotify Answer to see if that helps?

Hope it helps :)

LoxerRock Star 15

fozzy343
Regular

This started the literal day I canceled my premium subscription.  It is still active until May 14th, but the day I canceled it, that is when all the problems started with not being able to play songs.

Mac Desktop app doesn't play many songs

martinapugliese
Casual Listener

I am using both a Desktop app on a Mac and the mobile app. Just recently, the Desktop app stopped working fine - it does not play many songs.

The songs do show up but they don't play - a bar appears and does not move. In other cases, and this is a phenomenon getting worse, the app plays 6 seconds of the song and then stops with a criptic message "can't play this song". Note that the mobile app works fine and that I don't have a setting to show me non-existing songs. 

There are several other tickets here about similar problems, but the solutions offered, namely:

1. Deleting the cache and reinstalling
2. Checking settings (one suggested unticking the "hardware acceleration", which I don't have)  

didn't work for me. Also note that I checked my location is correct and that several of these songs suddenly not playing used to play just fine.

Re: Mac Desktop app doesn't play many songs

Rock Star 21
Rock Star 21

Hey @martinapugliese, thanks for writing!

It sounds like some of the app files got corrupted somehow.

Since the normal moving to trash method is not working, my first suggestion is that you download this free app cleaner:

http://freemacsoft.net/appcleaner/

When you open up the app, click the search icon and search for Spotify and it will automatically find and delete all files on your computer related to Spotify.

After that, download and reinstall Spotify.

Note: after you reinstall make sure to go into the Spotify settings and redo your preferences

Let me know if it helps!

BittencourtRock Star 21

Re: Mac Desktop app doesn't play many songs

martinapugliese
Casual Listener

Hi @Bittencourt,

thanks for this! Unfortunately doesn't solve the problem, I've followed all the instructions and I keep having the same situations with the newly downloaded app. For the record, this is what happens to many songs: they stop at second 6 and show the message "Can't play this song"Screenshot 2019-04-29 at 07.45.33.png

and this is what happens to the play bar to other songs, where they don't even start:
Screenshot 2019-04-29 at 07.46.03.png

Appreciate all help!

SUGGESTED POSTS