Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

"Spotify can't play this right now." Songs stop after seconds.

Solved!

"Spotify can't play this right now." Songs stop after seconds.

I have tried everything I've seen here: deleted the Library files, restarted the app, reinstalled the app.
Mac OS Mojave 10.14.4, Macbook Pro 13-inch 2017.Screenshot 2019-04-22 at 19.58.42.png

139 Replies

I'm having the same issue.

Mac Book Pro, macOS 10.14.4 (18E226)

Spotify Version: 1.1.5.153.gf614956d

I tried reinstalling, deleting cache, adding stuff to my host file, updating spotify - nothing helps. The songs just play for half a second, then the error message pops up. Everything works fine when I use the web version. HELP

@loxer,

I have tried setting the hosts file didn't solve it

I have logged out of spotify, and logged in to my son's spotify account, negative...

Sometimes the play works... at home there's no issues... could be I am just lucky... I don't know 😞

I'm having the same issue, but as of late, songs don't even start playing; the bar is just greyed out like yours. It's really frustrating when you're paying for this service.

Greetings admin. Seems like a huge number of users (including me) are having the issue where songs stop playing at a certain point, or don't play at all. It's most likely an issue with the app itself when so many people are facing the problem. Most of us have tried every fix including clearing cache, reinstalling etc.

Hey @martinapugliese and @sx5,

Are those songs local files?

Can you please let me know your Spotify and OS versions, as well as the devices you're using?

BittencourtSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

I am having the same problem; I think it may have started with the last OS update? I tried the suggestion from the linked post to add new hosts for Spotify and it didn't fix the problem. 

I'm running Mac OS 10.14.4 and am now unable to stream any song on Spotify from my desktop app. I can play songs from my iPhone just fine, but the problem replicates on my phone if I select my desktop as the device to listen through—the songs key up but stop after 1 sec. 

@Bittencourt Sure!

My OS is macOS Mojave, version 10.14.4; the Spotify desktop app version is 1.1.5.153.gf614956d - this is the one I had just installed via downloading the installer from the site.

My other device is a ONE PLUS A6003 as it appears via Spotify Connect. The mobile app (which works fine) is version 8.5.2.759.

None of these is a local file, these are songs you find on the app. 
Note that on the phone (the One Plus device as per above) the same songs play just fine.

Also note I don't have the setting for "show unplayable songs" ticked.

Songs stop playing after a second on the Mac desktop app. I've changed cache location, did a clean reinstall of the app including deleting the cache and system files, logged out of all devices, restarted my computer multiple times and none of it made a difference.

I doubt it's an account level issue because the Spotify web player works fine, it seems to be an issue exclusively with the desktop application.

Originally when I noticed the issue, some songs played fine, but now it seems to be any song I try to play.

I am a Premium member in New Zealand using a MacBook Pro 2018 which is up to date with the latest version of macOS.

Randomly tried it yesterday morning and it worked for a few songs, then for other songs on the same album it failed to play. It appears the issue is related to certain songs for some reason? Today, the same songs worked from yesteday, but I still can't listen to anything else.

On the specific album I am listening to, I can listen to the first 2 songs with no problem. Then it just starts skipping through my whole library of songs.

Tried clearing the local files again to see if that would resolve anything. Same results. All of these songs continue to work on the web player from the same computer, I just would prefer to use the desktop application.

Does the application not have a location for log files that I could take a look at?

On your desktop, go to Spotify settings. Scroll down to Proxy and update your proxy. Also, check to make sure hardware acceleration is on. Scroll back up and check the other settings to ensure the app is setup the way you want. After you've made all these changes, close the app, reboot your computer. Restart the app.

This should sove the problem. Let me know if it works for you.

One more thing... while you are in settings, make sure that cookie blocking is turned off.

Plan

Free and Premium

Country

Italy

Device

PC

Operating System

Windows 10

My Question or Issue

I can't play all songs that I had played before a date that I can't remember....
If I search a new song I can always play it....
However with the same account on smartphone I can hear all the songs

I fixed the problem uninstalling Spotify using a program that can delete all its files remaining in my pc and downloading it again

bug spotify #1.png

Plan

Premium

Country

United States

My Question or Issue

Hey all, I've been trying to listen to the Warhammer Vermintide II original soundtrack by Jesper Kyd. All the songs are grayed out and I get an error message that says "Spotify can't play this right now. If you have the file on your computer you can import it." Trouble is that I'm on a work computer and I don't want to get local files on there. Any help would be appreciated!

As a side note, this album also won't play on my iPhone X...

Screen Shot 2019-04-30 at 3.16.29 PM.png

I have the same issue. The songs have stopped playing between 4-7 seconds the last weeks on my Mac, or they don't start playing at all. Spotify works fine on my iPhone. I've tried

* reinstall

* cleaning and changing location of cache file

* Changing playback quality

Macbook Pro, MacOS Mojave 10.14.4

Premium account (family)

Spotify app version: 1.1.5.153.gf614956d

Screenshot 2019-05-01 at 01.00.14.png

Many people on every Windows OS are having this problem.

I'm on Windows 7 and having the same issue.

Spotify needs to get their act together.

Until then, I will not hand them any money.

Plan

Family Premium

Device

Macbook Pro 2017

Operating System

MacOS Mojave 10.14

The Spotify app stops playing any song after six seconds saying "Can't play the current song". I already reinstaled the app twice.

Hey @fozzy343.

Thanks for getting back to us!

We'd like to find out if something is wrong with your account. Do you have the option of trying a different account to see if the same thing happens?

Looking forward to your reply.

Have a nice day.

Plan

Premium

Country

UK

Device

PC

Operating System

Windows 10

Folks,

This is driving me nuts, I cant seem to play any song on spotify, very occasionally it works, but for the most part i get th eblue bar at the top of the app telling me that 'spotify cant play this right now....'

Im not trying to listen to playlists created with local files, im trying to play spotify generated playlists, like 'Your daily mix'. As an example im unable to listen to taylor swifts new song because of it. I hope this gets resolved quickly otherwise im ditching spotify. Hope you can help!

Hey Guido,

I tried a fresh install of the desktop version of Spotify and created a new account.  With the new account, everything seems to work fine.  Like I mentioned before, this problem arose after I canceled my premium on my main account.  It seems something is wrong with my account then?  As the new account seems to work fine.

This happend to me recently as well. All of a sudden all songs stopped playing. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the app several times and nothing worked. The web player and app on my phone still work fine. I randomly noticed that when I switch my IP adderess using a VPN the the desktop app will play songs normally. I have no idea how to resolve this at this point.

Suggested posts