"Spotify can't play this right now." Songs stop after seconds.

Re: Mac Desktop app doesn't play many songs

nochaser
Regular

I have this same issue. I uninstalled and reinstalled Spotify several times over the last week. The web player and app on my phone play the songs fine. I randomly noticed yesterday that when I switch my ip address using a VPN the songs start playing normally on the desktop app.

Re: 'Spotify cant play this song right now...'

Rising Star 14 Ethan_Moore004
Rising Star 14

Hi there!

I know it sounds simple, but it's often overlooked. Could you try restarting your device? If that doesn't help, try a quick clean reinstall of the app. Just follow these steps.

If you're still having trouble, could you let me know the exact version of Spotify and the exact version of the operating system you're running?

Please Like!!!

If it works mark as solution please

I'll see what I can suggest next!

Ethan_Moore004Rising Star 14
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Re: All songs stop playing after 1 second.

benmuggsy
Regular

This is happening to me too, today for the first time. One weird thing is that when I restart my program I can listen to pre-downloaded music; but when I try playing Kid Cudi songs (who I never listen to), the problem re-starts. A bad look for Spotify - I'm surprised they don't have internal alerts for this type of thing. Their software team should tackle this ASAP.

Songs stop after 5 seconds, friends and devices not showing, can't download songs

Screaming123

Premium, Win10 Desktop, 3 devices

So for a few months on one of my devices i can't download songs or playlists. Also when i try just streaming songs they stop after 5-10 seconds. Furthermore my friends and my other spotifydevices are not showing. I'm all out of ideas how to fix this. Can anyone help?

joeevans123
Casual Listener
Hi thanks for the reply,
Yes i have tried re starting my device and i have just tried a clean install following the instructions you provided. Unfortunately its still happening.

from the about spotify window: 1.1.5.153.gf614956d

volleimer
Casual Listener

Hi, I am having the same problem, Spotify Premium does not play any songs. A clean reinstall did not help, the Windows Store version is not an option since I am on a corporate PC where the store is deactivated.

Spotify client: 1.1.5.153.gf614956d

Re: "Spotify can't play this right now. If you have the file on your computer you can import it

lkllnd93
Regular

Spotify is unusable for me right now. I'll cancel my subscription and go to Google or Apple. Bye 👋🏻

Rock Star 21
Rock Star 21

Hey all, 

Can you please try on a different network and see if the same error occurs? 

If that doesn't work, download a few songs on your desktop, then switch on Offline Mode and try playing those offline songs to see if the same error occurs.

@nochaser what's your device, Spotify version and OS?

Thanks!

BittencourtRock Star 21
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Phipsiii

Hi, I'm on Mac OS 10.11.6. (Old Mac, no newer version available) and in the last weeks Spotify got slower and slower. In the meantime I can't open or play many playlists. When there is a playlist starting after a while, often the song stops after half a minute and starts again later or after one song Spotify stops playing completly.

At the moment Spotify doesn't makes me very happy. :(

Re: Issues Playing non favorited songs since I canceled Premium

Hey @fozzy343.

Thanks for getting back to us.

It does sound like something might be up with your account. It shouldn't happen however that when you cancel your subscription, you lose the ability to use Spotify. You should still be able to use all features until your Premium expires, After which you'll still have all Free features.

There is one thing we'd like to try and it involves editing your host files. Here's how:

1. Open Finder and, in Finder’s menu bar, select Go > Go to Folder. In the box, type the following location: /private/etc/hosts and press return.
  2. A new Finder window will open and your Mac’s hosts file will be selected. Click and drag it out of the Finder window and drop it on your desktop. 
  3. To open it, simply double-click and it will display the file’s contents in TextEdit .
  4. Check for any entries with Spotify in the address.
  5. If you do find any lines with Spotify, please remove them
  6. Save your changes and restart Spotify.

Hope that helps. Let us know what the result is.

Have a nice day!

GuidoModerator

SUGGESTED POSTS