Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

songs won't play, all saved playlists are empty

Solved!

songs won't play, all saved playlists are empty

so since about a week now, specific songs wont play in my desktop app on my mac. songs play on my ipod and ipad but on my mac, when i click on a song nothing happens. this used to happen to random songs, not all.

however from yesterday, no song plays, and as for playlists, they are all empty. saved playlists and my playlists both ssy that there are no songs in the playlist. the only thing i csn play are the songs already on my mac and not the ones i dont have and are on spotify. 

i have tried every solution i can find on the internet including a clean reinstall, logging in and out etc and nothing works. 

Plan

Free

Country

Qatar

Device

Macbook Pro 2018

Operating System

MacOS Mojave 

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

THIS IS FOR MAC:

1. Open Finder and, in Finder’s menu bar, select Go > Go to Folder. In the box, type the following location: /private/etc/hosts and press return.
  2. A new Finder window will open and your Mac’s hosts file will be selected. Click and drag it out of the Finder window and drop it on your desktop.
  3. To open it, simply double-click and it will display the file’s contents in TextEdit .
  4. Check for any entries with Spotify in the address.
  5. If you do find any lines with Spotify, put a "#" infront of the line
  6. Save the Text edit file. Then drag it back into the original finder window where it was found.
  7. You'll need to click authenticate and replace the original file. So that the new hosts file is saved
  8. Restart Spotify.
  9. Listen to your favorite song! 🙂 

View solution in original post

14 Replies

BRO I HAVE THIS TOO. I don't know how to fix. Please please tell me if you find somehting that works.

It happened to me, i think, because i deleted some spotify-related files by mistake on my mac. idk what they were. I've tried a clean reinstall, clearing the cache, but that doesnt work either 😞 

I have got the same problem since yesterday.

this worked for me, download that version : 

<snip - Moderator Edit>

i'll try it out tysm 😄

the file doesnt open on a mac tho

so idk, i don't use mac

I am having the same problem,  all my playlist appear empty. Including playlist currated by spotify. Any time I search a song, and then click to play it - a blank disc will appear and no sound emerges.  At first this only applied to some songs so I deleted and then re-installed the app. Everything worked for 24 hours, then the same problem occured and now I cannot listen to any music at all. I have a premium account, and I am only experiencing this problem on my laptop (mac),the app still works on my phone (which I do not use to listen to music on most of the time).

this is exactly the same thing that's happening to me...

i wonder if there's anyway we can bring bring the spotify team's attention to this.

if ever you find a fix to it, pls do share it. 

Marked as solution

THIS IS FOR MAC:

1. Open Finder and, in Finder’s menu bar, select Go > Go to Folder. In the box, type the following location: /private/etc/hosts and press return.
  2. A new Finder window will open and your Mac’s hosts file will be selected. Click and drag it out of the Finder window and drop it on your desktop.
  3. To open it, simply double-click and it will display the file’s contents in TextEdit .
  4. Check for any entries with Spotify in the address.
  5. If you do find any lines with Spotify, put a "#" infront of the line
  6. Save the Text edit file. Then drag it back into the original finder window where it was found.
  7. You'll need to click authenticate and replace the original file. So that the new hosts file is saved
  8. Restart Spotify.
  9. Listen to your favorite song! 🙂 

oh my good lord that actually worked!

thank you so much ❤️

You're a life saver.

I'm having the same problem.

Thank you!!

This solved the problem I was having with my Spotify Premium account on the Desktop OSX application since one month ago.

For WINDOWS 7:

The cause:

spotify links are blocked in the host file

(you were probably blocking spotify ads by linking spotify related links to the adress "0.0.0.0" or a malicious program did it)

Solution:

1) Go to : "C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc"

2) Open the file "hosts".

Make sure to open "hosts" and not "hosts.txt", because the latter one is in fact not being used by the system and is just an example of a host file. (you might want to turn on the file extensions and also make the browser show hidden files; you can search for it on the web)

2) Remove all lines containing the word "spotify" in them.

3) Save the file. (you will need admin rights)

4) Spotify will sync with your other online devices and will be able to play music right away. Even without a restart.

Hope this helps!

Suggested posts