Account Type:

Premium account

UK

Device:

Macbook Pro early 2015 13"

Operating System:

Mac (10.14.6 (18G95))

My Question or Issue:

Spotify keeps crashing(closing without error message) when i play music and change workspaces or even if i have changed workspaces (after it has started but before i play music) and then play music. It will normally stay open if i stay in the same workspace and play music but this isn't really feasible. 

I've tried deleting the cache + local folders and reinstalling. Also restarting. None help. It has worked well since i clean installed osx however as i started to reinstall programs such as android studio, utorrent then it's become unreliable again. Hope you can help. 

6 Replies

Hey @ahhh123, welcome to the Community.

Hope you're doing great!

Could try using Sign Out Everywhere and Remove Offline devices options from your Spotify account?

If that doesn't work could you follow this Spotify Answer?

I'd suggest reinstalling one more time after. Just follow these steps.

Thanks 🙂

I'm sorry but i work in tech, i've tried the reinstallation method you've referenced. I dont mean to sound confrontational but if windows or osx would crash and shutdown whenever you tried to turn it on that would be considered a very serious problem, how has a $30billion company been unable to make a desktop app that wont crash for the 2+ years this has been a widely reported issue. Why am i paying for something that is unusable???  

Such good design let down so spectacularly by terrible engineering and customer support. Please can you give me some more substantial advice or requests than 'try turning it on and off again'

Hey @ahhh123,

I have Spotify in over 7 different machines each with 2+ OSes installed, not even a signle issue with it.

Also, did you try the other steps? I suggested the reinstall after those.

Thanks 🙂

I've tried everything in your previous email in that order. Thankyou for the suggestions but they haven't worked. 

Tbh it's clearly some sort of strange conflict with other programs or the OS. The fact that there's no information or crash data when it stops just makes debugging harder. It doesn't register when the programs stopped running. These are quite basic things, I dont understand how this isn't handled better technically. None of the other software I use ever has had this problem. Again such great UX and design let down by poor engineering. 

Hey @ahhh123,

Sorry that didn't help.

Could you try from Safe Mode or from another user account on your PC and install Spotify there to see if it makes any difference?

Let me know how that goes 🙂

I have the same problem, but the app keeps crashing every time a track is playing and I select another song for play.

I have macOS 10.14.6 and Spotify 1.1.16.457.g7de36670, the latter is the version which I've just updated to, and this issue wasn't present in the previous one.

I have already tried restarting, emptying the cache and reinstalling but nothing worked.

Suggested posts