Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

spotify won't play certain songs

spotify won't play certain songs

Hi guys

I've had spotify for years and recently its developed a weird problem that has been getting worse. Sometimes it just won't play certain songs. I have a stable internet connection and the songs aren't greyed out. If I click play though, nothing happens. If you see the screenshot it comes up with the icon to say its but the song doesn't load. 

I can play other songs fine, and use the internet on a browser like normal. I have also noticed that sometimes there is a lag between me clicking play on a song and the song starting. It will take a couple of seconds before it plays. 

I have tried quitting and starting spotify again, shutting down/restarting my mac, I've even done a clean reinstall, but it doesn't seem to make any difference. 

I'm on a macbook pro Big Sur 11.0.1, and spotify 1.1.48.625.g1c87c7f7

30 Replies

Unfortunately because of the lockdown I can't use another wifi connection cause I have to stay home, but I could try using my phone hotspot and see what happens. 

If a song wont play, if I click the like (heart) button and then try and play it again it works fine. This then "unlocks" the song (if thats the right way of putting it), if I then remove the like the song seems to play fine. 

I can't remember what the album was that didn't work over the weekend, but any new ones that it happens to I'll send you a link!

Gus

Hey @sugscott,

Thanks for keeping in touch and for the info you've shared.

Take your time to try this with a hotspot to see if that makes any difference.

Also, a video or screen recording where we can see this issue would also come in handy to further investigate.

Keep us posted.

CarlosEModerator

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

Hi

you wanted an example of a song that wouldn't play, I tried this podcast but it wouldn't work. After I unfollowed it and followed it again it began working

https://open.spotify.com/episode/4j1U2IlTfUOYLvjbSsjDDb?si=Joy-OkTqS4aBpEaIqQAsAg

Hi again @sugscott,

Thanks for getting back in touch.

We've tested that podcast on our end on multiple devices and it worked fine, so this still seems to be isolated to your Mac and iPad, or to the network. Just to confirm, did you have the chance to try it using a different Internet connection, like a hotspot from your phone?

Remember to send us the video or screen recording of the issue when you have the chance so we can take a better look.

We'll be looking out for your reply.

CarlosEModerator

Hello Spotify: I am too having this same problem and it didn't happen before. These are songs I've played for my kids hundreds of times. Some albums are skipping songs and when I click on them nothing happens. I started noticing this week. Things I've already done: deleted and reinstalled app on iphone, logged out of all devices, turned off wifi, tried with another person's spotify account who is sitting near me the exact same album/songs, checked that te glitch happens both on the desktop app and my iPhone. I'm providing video of the desktop app.

My iPhone is up to date (14.7.1), iMacPro also up to date (11.5.2). Apps are updated as well.

Hi there @user-removed, 

Thanks for reaching out about this here in the Community. 

Would you mind sending us the URIs of the playlists where you're experiencing this along the URIs of the songs that won't play? To get them, check this article. 

We'll be waiting for your reply.

EniModerator

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

Thanks for writing back!!! Just to give you the most information possible: I checked today with my husband's account and all the songs are playing on his iPhone. On my account, when I try to click on them nothing happens. In the case of the example of Mary Poppins, some songs are legible (in white) but are not able to be clicked on, and some suddenly are greyed out. I've played this album completely before. I'm also trying to click on other albums that I know I have played completely to let you know if they have the same problem.

Here are some of the songs that usually played without a problem and now don't work:

Hey there @user-removed, 

Thanks for getting back to us. 

We tried it on our end and they played fine. 

Could you ask your husband to log in to his account on your phone to check if the songs are playable there?

We'll keep an eye out for your reply.

EniModerator

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

Hi! Sorry I took so long, I had given up on my problem because it was just a couple of songs until today, when I just noticed that some new songs stopped playing. I logged out, deleted the app in my phone and nothing happened. Logged in my desktop account, songs are not playing there as well. Did a last thing: logged out of my account and used my husbands account on my phone, songs are playing now. It's definitively my account then. The test I did was with the Hamilton soundtrack, which I've listened for years now. Only a couple of songs now play.

Whan can I do? I don't want to open a new account just for this.

Did another test: used a different email, created a free account. Searched for the Hamilton soundtrack. Only five songs appeared, the ones that funny enough are playing on my premium account. Is there any way that Spotify can sort of reset my account on their end?

Hey there @user-removed, 

Thanks for getting back in touch. 

We're afraid we can't reset your account on our end. In this case, we suggest reaching out directly to our Support team through any of these channels so they can take a closer look at your account and further assist you with this.

If you need a hand with anything else, the Community is here for you.

EniModerator

Suggested posts