Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Album art for local files + remote playback

Solved!

Album art for local files + remote playback

Plan

Premium

Country

Australia

Device

Desktop PC, Notebook, Apple iPhone 12

Operating System

Windows 10 Pro & iOS 15

My Question or Issues

I genuinely tried searching as suggested but could not find my exact "issue".

MY SCENARIO:

I have a desktop PC which I use to manage my local music files (MP3). All of my MP3 files all have ID3 tag info and album art. These songs are synced to my cloud storage which keeps both my desktop PC and notebook synced and acts as a "first level backup".

When I add any local music file to any spotify playlist on my desktop PC - all is well. I can see the song appear perfectly with the info displayed correctly, album art is all there and shows when I play the song. My notebook syncs up all good (via cloud storage) and my mobile phone syncs perfectly too.

Here's where the "issue" arises - say I'm listening to the local music file that I've just added on my desktop PC, I can see the album art appear correctly. However, Spotify on my notebook shows that I am "Listening on my desktop PC" but the album art will not appear. It just shows the music note. The same goes for my mobile phone.

The album art for my local music files only seems to appear on the device that is actually playing the track. As soon as the song changes to one that is available from Spotify, the album art appears on all of my devices.

So my question is - how does one make the album art for local music files appear on my other devices when they aren't playing it?

I have attached screenshots of Spotify on my desktop PC, notebook and my mobile so that everyone has a better understanding.

Thanks in advance everyone 😄

Notebook.png
Mobile.png
Desktop PC.png

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey @ON555,

Thanks for reaching out about this in the Community. 

We can confirm that currently, cover art metadata for local files is not synced between devices, when using the Connect feature. This is because, when the app is playing local files it is streaming them from the local device cache. Using Connect, not all metadata is synchronized as the app works more like a a remote in this case. However, we're looking into different ways of improving playing local files with Spotify on mobile devices so this might change in the future.

We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback with us and will make sure to pass it onto the right team. 

If you need help with anything else, just let us know. 

AlexModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Marked as solution

Hey @ON555,

Thanks for reaching out about this in the Community. 

We can confirm that currently, cover art metadata for local files is not synced between devices, when using the Connect feature. This is because, when the app is playing local files it is streaming them from the local device cache. Using Connect, not all metadata is synchronized as the app works more like a a remote in this case. However, we're looking into different ways of improving playing local files with Spotify on mobile devices so this might change in the future.

We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback with us and will make sure to pass it onto the right team. 

If you need help with anything else, just let us know. 

AlexModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Suggested posts