Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[All Platforms][Playlists] sort/filter songs by the artist name

Solved!

[All Platforms][Playlists] sort/filter songs by the artist name

The possibility to sort the songs in a playlist by the artist name is not available anymore. We can now only filter by 'title', 'album' and 'date added'. No 'artist name' filter is available anymore...Please bring it back! 

Filter option.png

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Yes, you can do that still. It's just a little weird now.

Click on the word "Title" at the top of the column a few times. For some reason the developers combined the title and the artist data into one column, so you have to click a few times to start sorting by artist

View solution in original post

12 Replies

Sorting by the artist feature is gone in the latest update and I can only sort by the name of the songs, my playlists are completely messy now.

You could may be put this feature back optionally for everyone who liked and found it useful and doesn't understand why it's gone now and that it makes everything look very disorganized and can't even look at their previously neat looking playlists and about to go crazy. Thanks. 

The option is still there, but it's combined with the sort by Title function. Click on the title column until you see artist

Yes, I know that I can see the artist name in the 'title" section BUT I want to sort the songs by the artist name. Like it always was. Now I can't sort the songs by the artist name anymore...Only by title, album and when added

Marked as solution

Yes, you can do that still. It's just a little weird now.

Click on the word "Title" at the top of the column a few times. For some reason the developers combined the title and the artist data into one column, so you have to click a few times to start sorting by artist

You can still sort by artist. It's just a little weird now.

Click on the word "Title" at the top of the song name column a few times. For some reason the developers combined the title and the artist filter into one column, so you have to click a few times to start sorting by artist

smacklol, you are my favorite person today! Thanks!

Wow thanks! Got it! 

In my opinion not such a good user experience though

Hello @nikohle,

Thanks for reaching out about this in the Community. We're happy to shed some light on the situation.

We can see from your shared screenshot that you're on a new desktop experience we're currently testing. As @smacklol has already mentioned, you should still be able to sort your playlists by artist if you click the button to sort by title three times - it will then switch to sort by artist.

image.png

For more details about the new desktop app, you can head here.

We've now closed this thread, but if you have any other questions regarding this update, feel free to leave a comment with your feedback in the thread linked above - We'll make sure to pass it on to the right teams.

Thanks!

XeniaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

a playlist used to display columns TITLE, ARTIST, ALBUM, DATE ADDED, etc.
Currently the ARTIST column is no longer displayed (at least on my W10 desktop!) and there is no way to get it displayed. Artist is now displayed as second line in the TITLE column. There is plenty of room on the display windows, so that should not be the problem. Columns should be or at least could be made resizable to preference.
As said, ARTIST *used to be* a separate column and is currently gone.
Having that column would provide for a much more useful 'sorting' possibility. 

Today's new update took away the "artist" category in playlists. This should be brought back because I like organizing my music based on artist so I can see how many songs from each artist I have in the playlist. Plus the artist's name under the song title just looks bad. 

Also not completely related but on the desktop version of this update, it is harder to read the songs that our friends are listening to because the text is smaller. If these could be fixed, then I think the new update is actually really nice!

Agreed, the focus is now on albums which I've never cared to organize by. Now I can't see all my 'liked' songs per artist and can't even search the artist in my liked playlist. The new format makes it harder to read the title & artist now that only the album has it's own column in the list

Hey @nikohle @ecorp @miaelise3 @dyslexia4 

Good news!

There is now a new Compact Mode for track lists (playlists and album pages) in the desktop app and Web Player

The drop down menu now has "Sort by" and "View as" options. To turn on compact mode, open up the drop down menu at the top right of a playlist or album page and click on "Compact" under "View as".

On Playlist pages, it removes the album art, and breaks out "Title" and "Artist" into their own separate columns again. This view is similar to before the redesign that added album art into playlists a few years ago.

On Album pages, it moves the artist and featured artists from below each track title, to a new "Artist" column to the right of the "Title" column.

When you turn on Compact Mode, it will be remembered and stay on when you are viewing both playlists and album pages. You can switch back to the regular "List" view at any time.

The new Compact Mode for track lists is rolling out in the desktop app and Web Player right now so you should be seeing it soon. This has been a highly requested feature since the redesign came out a few years ago.

Desktop Compact List Mode.png

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Suggested posts