Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Alt-left and Alt-right to go back and forward not working

Alt-left and Alt-right to go back and forward not working

Operating System

Windows 10 (tested on 3 installations)

Spotify v1.1.56.595.g2d2da0de-a

The alt-left and alt-right shortcuts have stopped working with the latest update to the new interface. The Ctrl-/ popup says that the shortcut is now Ctrl-Alt-left and Ctrl-Alt-right, but they don't work either.

5 Replies

Hey there @theprash,

Thanks for reaching out to the Community.

Can you try logging out, restarting your device, and logging back in? If that doesn't make a difference, try toggling the option Show desktop overlay when using media keys off.

If that doesn't do the trick, it's worth running a clean reinstall of the app by following these steps. This can be helpful to get rid of any corrupted files that might be causing trouble. We also suggest downloading the app again from the Microsoft Store.

We hope this helps. Keep us posted on how it goes.

CarlosEModerator

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

"Show desktop overlay when using media keys" doesn't even appear as an option anymore in this version of Spotify. Are you sure you understood the issue? The problem is with the back and forward navigation between different "pages", not about changing tracks.

But I tried everything else you suggested and it didn't work. CarlosE, this sounds like very generic advice so far, and remember I've tried this out on several machines. One of them was a completely clean install of Spotify. Have you tried to reproduce the issue yourself?

Hi again @theprash,

Thanks for getting back in touch and for the clarification.

We're sorry for the confusion. We tried it on our end and it worked with the keys Ctrl + left/right. Could you give it a try and let us know how it goes?

We'll be on the lookout.

CarlosEModerator

OK now, that you've mentioned Ctrl-left/right I'm really confused. Those work for changing tracks, not for navigation. Let me provide some really explicit steps:

Click playlist A (playlist A is shown)

Click playlist B (playlist B is shown)

Press Alt-left

Expected: Playlist A should be shown

Actual: Playlist B is still shown.

To re-iterate: This has nothing to do with which track is playing.

Perhaps you meant to say Ctrl-Alt-left/right in your last message? If so, then this doesn't work either, as I stated previously.

Hey @theprash,

Thanks for the clarification. 

In this case, we encourage you to head over to this thread and leave your feedback there about the New Desktop app. This is being monitored by the right teams as we really value your feedback and it is important for us to keep improving the app and the overall experience.

If you have any questions or need anything else, we'll be right here.

Cheers!

EniModerator

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

Suggested posts