Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Anyone know how to fix error code 13 when trying to install spotify?

Solved!

Anyone know how to fix error code 13 when trying to install spotify?

I uninstalled Spotify recently and when I attempted to reinstall I get error code 13. I've tried saving the instal exe file and running as administrator but that doesn't work either. Anyone know what error code 13 actually is??

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

I have been battling this for a month with Windows 7 64-bit.

EVERYTIME spotify started it would try to install (an update) which would fail with error 13 -cant create files.

If I deleted c:\users\username\appdata\local\spotify - spotify would then install and run fine....until the next restart...when the whole process would start again. Drove me mad.

Checking within spotify I noticed that the verison being installed AND the version downloaded from spotify was version 1.0.5.x  - NOT the latest version. On startup spotify would download the latest version in the backgorund.....and so NEXT time it started it would try and install that version (1.0.7.157) and thats where the failure would occur.

So this is what I did.

When I opened spotify and the install failed I hit  cancel. Let spotify download the update.

Close spotify.

Navigate to:

c:\users\username\appdata\local\spotify\update

double click the update excutable hiding there:

spotify_installer-1.0.7.157.g2a6526f9-88

watch spotify install the LATEST version. Now problem has gone away.

So it seems that - at least in my case - the problem was spotify trying to install the update it had auto-downloaded in the background itself. I suspect some file locking issue (ie Spotify program has a lock on the file somewhere in that directory that the update is trying to overwrite).

So fixed for me. Hopefully someone from Sopotify will read this and have an AHA moment.

Hopefully others with the same problem might fine this as a fix.

DONT let spotify automatically update. Let it download the file then install it yourself with spotify closed.

View solution in original post

17 Replies

Hey @sirearl 

Thanks for reaching out to us. 

Have you tried the following:

- Installing from: http://download.spotify.com/Spotify%20Installer.exe

- Running as the Administrator

- Rebooting the system and installing in 'windows safe mode'.

Let us know how these steps help.

Hi Jason,
I just tried installing from the installer which I saved to my desktop - same issue. I also tried running as admin - I get a pop up asking me to install using normal account instead of admin. I then tried installing from the exe file in Safe Mode but I got the same error code 13 message "installer is unable to install Spotify because the necessary files could not be created". Any other ideas I can try?

Thanks for reporting back so quickly, are you secretly Usain Bolt with the Keyboard? 😉

Are you able to search for and uninstall/delete all Spotify related files before reinstalling?

Another thing to try is with the below post. It's for an alternate error code thought the process should help:

http://community.spotify.com/t5/Spotify-Community-Blog/Tutorial-Windows-How-to-Fix-Error-17-Installe...

Keep us updated 🙂

Hi Jason, yeah tried following the instructions in the other thread, i.e. installing in safe mode, but still didn't work. Regarding removing all Spotify files, I'm pretty sure I got them all as I used the program uninstaller, unless you know of any less obvious associated files I might be missing?

Can't understand why it's not working!?!

Hi sirearl,

I just had this issue as well and it seems to be a compatability issue. This is what I did:

1. Uninstalled Spotify

2. Downloaded the installer from spotify.com

3. Went to where the installer is downloaded (in Chrome just press Ctrl + J)

4. Right-click on the installer and select 'Troubleshoot compatability'

5. Let Windows detect the optimal compatability settings...for me, it said Windows XP SP2 was ideal

6. Run the program.

I'm running Windows 7. Good luck.

Hi Ayes007,

Thanks for the info. I gave it a go but still getting the error code 13 message. I even went through all the alternative past versions of Windows to see if any of the earlier versions would work, but still unable to install Spotify!

It's been a couple of months now and I still can't use Spotify Premium on my PC!!!

Come on Spotify - this is a paid for service!!!

Jason,

I've been uable to use my Sportify Premium for over 2 months because of the error code 13 message.  How do I get in touch with Spotify to get help?!?!?!

I've tried all the advice via the community help but nobody can help me!

Is there a support number or email address I can use? This is supposed to be a premium service!!

Did you try downloading through a different browser? I was having the same issues when I downloaded through Firefox. Downloaded through Chrome and now it is installed and working.

Couldn't get any help from anyone at Spotify though.

Hi, for god's sake, can SOMEONE please tell me how to get past this error 13!!!!!!!

I have tried EVERYTHING on this thread... everything! And I still get it. I've tried deleting all the files, rebootin, firefox, using the full installer, I'm pulling my hair out here and I just paid for the premium!! This is ridiculous, plase help!!

Marked as solution

I have been battling this for a month with Windows 7 64-bit.

EVERYTIME spotify started it would try to install (an update) which would fail with error 13 -cant create files.

If I deleted c:\users\username\appdata\local\spotify - spotify would then install and run fine....until the next restart...when the whole process would start again. Drove me mad.

Checking within spotify I noticed that the verison being installed AND the version downloaded from spotify was version 1.0.5.x  - NOT the latest version. On startup spotify would download the latest version in the backgorund.....and so NEXT time it started it would try and install that version (1.0.7.157) and thats where the failure would occur.

So this is what I did.

When I opened spotify and the install failed I hit  cancel. Let spotify download the update.

Close spotify.

Navigate to:

c:\users\username\appdata\local\spotify\update

double click the update excutable hiding there:

spotify_installer-1.0.7.157.g2a6526f9-88

watch spotify install the LATEST version. Now problem has gone away.

So it seems that - at least in my case - the problem was spotify trying to install the update it had auto-downloaded in the background itself. I suspect some file locking issue (ie Spotify program has a lock on the file somewhere in that directory that the update is trying to overwrite).

So fixed for me. Hopefully someone from Sopotify will read this and have an AHA moment.

Hopefully others with the same problem might fine this as a fix.

DONT let spotify automatically update. Let it download the file then install it yourself with spotify closed.

removing all old spotify files worked for me, you can usually find these in your appdata folder under both roaming and local

This did not work for me. Last night Spotify was fine, and today it isn't. Went to open Spotofy, got Error code 13. I've deleted all files, in all folders, everywhere. Redownloaded and installed, several times, same error, every time. Very annoying. 

If you had a power failure while running spotify, your appdata folder could be corrupted, try running chkdsk on the C: with the /f switch to repair any errors that chkdsk finds.

After 3 years i'm still getting the same freaking issue with spotify. None of their support team responded to the issue not once they are **bleep**ing useless but they know how to withdraw money from account assholes

Thanks a lot, i was able to intall it true safe mode then for some reason it went to roaming folder instead maybe because it's window 10 anyways the update file is named spotify_new just run that atfer installing in safe mode and it's all good. spotify team are **bleep**ing useless.

I found that my problem was that after successfully installing Spotify in Safe Mode I still didn't have access to AppData/Roaming or /Local in Normal Mode.

What helped me is to simply move (in Safe Mode) Spotify folder from Roaming on C drive anywhere to D drive. 

I think in my case Windows 10 changed something in permissions after one of regular updates.

SOLVED!!

Just download the Spotify from windows store instead.

Suggested posts