Premium

Country

UK

Device

All devices

Operating System

(iOS 10, Android Oreo, Windows 10,etc.)

My Question or Issue

Spotify used to show the names of the Available devices now it just shoes a string of numbers for devices that aren't PCs  ie Amazon Echo Dot.  We have 6 in the house and while its ok to "command" each one verbally, if you want to "See" what you are playing or choose a play list from your PC then cast it to the right speaker, all we can see now is a string of numbers except for "one" which is now called Echo Dot.  All the others are a number/letter string.  The names used to be displayed and it has only recently gone "**bleep**".    Is there an explanation for this?  Can it be fixed?

Thanks

John

9 Replies

Hey @johnf52, welcome to the Community.

Hope you're doing great!

I'd suggest renaming the individual devices to see if that helps.

If possible try to rename them from your devices bluetooth page.

There's also an idea thread about having the ability to rename your devices within Spotify. You can give your support here.

Learn more about Spotify Connect here.

Hope it helps 🙂

Thanks Loxer, but renaming the devices would be a complete pain in the proverbial as they are Alexa devices and linked to the Amazon "Drop In" and "Call" feature with a whole load of friends and family by their "names".  Changing them would cause a whole host of issues in that area, so its a non starter.

This is a Spotify issuse, so it needs a Spotify fix.  Like I said Spotify was displaying the names fine, then one day these alpha numeric strings appeared (definitely NOT Mac addresses) in their place.

Thanks for trying though

Hi there!

Could you try a quick clean reinstall of the app? Just follow these steps.

If you're still having trouble, could you let me know the exact version of Spotify and the exact version of the operating system you're running?

I'll see what I can suggest next!

Already tried that. I use Revo Uninstaller which even hunts out bits left behind and registry entries. So new install is "fully" clean, but no joy.
Version is 1.1.22.633.g1bab253a (Microsoft Store)
OS is Win10

Hey ethere @johnf52,

Thanks for sharing these details!

Our tech teams were looking into this and it should be now fixed.

If you're still having troubles, we'd recommend first making sure that you're rocking the latest version of the Amazon app. You can also try reinstalling it to shake things up.

Let us know how you get on! We'll be right here if you need more help.

Have a lovely day 🙂

KaterinaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself! 

While I can confirm this issue has been fixed on the mobile end, the Spotify app (OS X) itself still lists character strings, rather than device names or locations. Frustrating to have to use my phone to play an artist on the Alexa right next to me, all the while I'm working on my MacBook which itself has a Spotify app installed. Please re-open or broaden this ticket.

Hey @calitrappedindc

Thanks for reaching out about this here in the Community. 

Could you let us know what troubleshooting steps you've already tried? This way we can avoid repeating steps. 

On another note, could you send us a screenshot of this so we can take a closer look? Make sure not to send any private info. 

Lastly, sending us the exact make/model, operating system and Spotify version of your PC would come in handy. 

We'll be on the lookout.

EniModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

In just two weeks the origianl query will be two years old !!!!!!
Any response now is pretty pointless and as you can see by later posts,
magically the issue fixed itself !!

However on a different note that has not received a pergorative response, I
would like to know why Spotify doesnt open on my portable WiFi (A MiFi)
device on my MAC

Thanks
John

Hey @johnf52

Thanks for getting back to us. 

Just to confirm, does the app not launch on your PC while using WiFi? Could you let us know if the same happens using a different internet connection?

On another note, we'd like to know if this happens across devices or only on your PC. 

We'll be on the lookout.

EniModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

Suggested posts