Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Avast blocking spofity install (SpWebInst0.exe identified as a threat)

Solved!

Avast blocking spofity install (SpWebInst0.exe identified as a threat)

After recent Windows updates/ reboot Avast had identified SpotifyWebHelper.exe as a threat. I decided to uninstall and download and reinstall from Spotify.com. After launching the downloaded executable, Avast identifies SpWebInst0.exe as a threat and blocks the install. Please advise.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

I found a workaround: Install from the Windows 10 Microsoft Store. I did not encounter the Avast warning installing that version. This is probably the best workaround for most users until Spotify can sort it out with Avast and fix it in the next Windows .exe release. 

Assuming you're on Windows 10, the Store is probably on your task bar. It looks like a shopping bag with a Windows logo. If it isn't, it's on your start menu. If you don't see it there, click start and type "store". Launch the store, then search for Spotify. Install, enjoy. 

-J

View solution in original post

10 Replies

Hey, @jdoubleh -

You can temporarily disable Avast Protection or add exceptions in Avast while installing Spotify. After the install, please make sure to add 'C:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\Spotify' to the exception paths also.

Thank you 🙂

Inkedavast-2015-turn-off-taskbar_.jpg
avast-2017-global-file-exclusions.jpg

This happened to me just now as well.

image.pngHappened to me too..?  do we have a reason why the web helper is being detected as harmful? "IDP generic means that the detection was detected by a Identity Protection detection component and it is a generalized file that got detected."

Curious   

Can confirm, this happened to me this morning after booting my PC. Probably an Avast virus signature update that doesn't like SpotifyWebHelper?

Same here! It didn't happen with any of the previous updates, so I guess there's something weird going on (I'm not saying there's a virus, just a weird behavior).

Same here. Just moved the threat to the virus chest and Spotify continued working, so I guess it may be a problem of the Windows update.

uhh? what?    problem with windows update?? - its something to do with the behaviour of the spotify web helper and the antivirus detecting the behaviour as suspicious.. nothing to do with windows update.

Thanks for the suggestions. While they're viable workarounds, I'd prefer not to disable AV to install anything in this day and age. Adding an exception would get users past this, however there is still risk if the package is in fact compromised. I feel strongly that the app devs should reach out to Avast and fix this at the code level so users don't encounter it in the next release. 

Marked as solution

I found a workaround: Install from the Windows 10 Microsoft Store. I did not encounter the Avast warning installing that version. This is probably the best workaround for most users until Spotify can sort it out with Avast and fix it in the next Windows .exe release. 

Assuming you're on Windows 10, the Store is probably on your task bar. It looks like a shopping bag with a Windows logo. If it isn't, it's on your start menu. If you don't see it there, click start and type "store". Launch the store, then search for Spotify. Install, enjoy. 

-J

understandable. however i disabled windows store within the registry as its a hunk-o-**bleep**e! 😉 

nice work!

Suggested posts