Premium

Country

USA

Device

Desktop PC

Operating System

Currently Windows 7, soon windows 10

My Question or Issue

I would like to back up my Spotify data to an external drive so I will not loose my songs and playlist when I upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey @Matt8838 

You don't need to back up your Spotify data. You can reinstall the client on Windows 10 and you'll still see all of your playlists and contents of Your Library.

The reason is that all these things are stored in Spotify's servers. 🙂 This allows you to log into your Spotify anywhere and still listen to your playlists.

If you have local files, you'll need to put those on an USB drive. All content in your Pictures, Documents, Music and Videos, that you don't want to lose, you should copy them on an external drive.

Let me know if you have more questions!

SebastySpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Marked as solution

Hey @Matt8838 

You don't need to back up your Spotify data. You can reinstall the client on Windows 10 and you'll still see all of your playlists and contents of Your Library.

The reason is that all these things are stored in Spotify's servers. 🙂 This allows you to log into your Spotify anywhere and still listen to your playlists.

If you have local files, you'll need to put those on an USB drive. All content in your Pictures, Documents, Music and Videos, that you don't want to lose, you should copy them on an external drive.

Let me know if you have more questions!

SebastySpotify Star
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

@Sebasty

What if you want to backup all your offline music which you have downloaded and cannot afford to download them again with a limited data plan?

Hey there @N-ichola-z,

Unfortunately there's currently no way to back up the music you've downloaded for offline listening. You'd have to redownload them after you finish reinstalling your OS and the Spotify app.

We understand that you'd like to see an option to back your songs up on your device and we can recommend that you suggest that on our Ideas board. Take a look at this page to see how to post an Idea.

If you're interested in how ideas work and how your feedback reaches the right teams here, check this page out.

Don't hesitate to give us a shout if you have more questions.

AlexModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Suggested posts