Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Bad quality audio with Windows even with Premium

Bad quality audio with Windows even with Premium

Hi all!

I just cannot have good quality sound when using Spotify with Windows. I've activated the "Premium quality" option, but there is no difference at all. I'm almost sure that the sound is in 160 and not 320 despite the option activated.

With Android or when playing directly with Bose Soundtouch the sound is good, it's only when playing in Windows (10) that the sound seems to "stay" at 160 or less quality.

I'm coming from Groove. If I try to play the same track and compare, the gap is HUGE : Groove quality is very good whereas it's very bad with Spotify.

I really suspect the "Premium quality" option in Spotify just doesn't do nothing.

What can I do?

Thank's for any advice...

4 Replies

Yes, it seems that "high quality" depends on the method at which audio cuts are ripped. I have noticed less than stellar audio quality on quite a few cuts. I agree Groove was of a much higher quality. The only service I have used that matches Groove quality is Google Play or Deezer.

Apple is just as bad or worse.

Yes, it's possible, but the sound quality is better when using my Bose Soundtouch or my headset with Android Spotify app, so it seems rather related only to plays with Windows.

I fact I suspect that the setting "Premium quality" (radio button) doesn't do nothing, as if the choice isn't saved. I think about that because the option to have Spotify app not starting automatically doesn't work (even if I select no, the app starts everytime automatically when I start Windows).

I made some additional tests, and it seems that the songs cache files are approx. 10Mb (for 3-4 min songs), meaning that the files are really in high-quality bitrate.

Meaning that the problem would be related to the way the files are "decoded" and read.

Spotify "ogg" codec for Windows would perhaps be the cause of this awful quality !?

Is there a way to have some info or acknowledgement by Spotify?

Its MP3's, there just trash. Everyone is so used to listening to this format that they don't notice that its substand until they really pay attention. Its 2018 people, Wake the **bleep** up and advance. I used to think that the quality of the music I listend to was the dogs nuts until I listen to vinyls that are from the 70's, 80s, and 90's on a proper system (wasn't expensive either) and they are 20x better than MP3'S. JUST FOR EVERYONES INFORMATION. MP3s ARE OUTDATED, JUST LIKE CD'S,  as I said, ITS 2018. NOT THE 2000'S ANYMORE!!!!

Suggested posts