Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Bandwidth usage is too freaking high (1Mb/sec, seriously?)

Bandwidth usage is too freaking high (1Mb/sec, seriously?)

It makes everything else laggy for me and others using the network.

It's not permanent, but it's still annoying. I don't need my music player taking up to 1Mb/sec. I even have to shut it down when it's too annoying.

2 Replies

Spotify has three different bitrates available for streaming on mobile: "standard quality" (96kbps), "high quality" (160kbps), and "extreme quality" (320kbps).

However, on the Windows Spotify Desktop application, "standard" is 160kbps, and "high" is 320kbps, and these are the only two options.

On the Desktop version, streaming in "standard" (160kbps) for one (1) minute is the equivalent of using 1.2MB of bandwidth. 

1MB is equal to 8Mb in terms of data and bandwidth. This being said, if Spotify is using 1Mb of your data, it is using 0.125MB of your bandwidth.

Unfortunately, there is no way that I'm aware of to lower the streaming quality below "standard" on the Spotify for Windows application. If this is using too much of your bandwidth, you could try plugging in your headphones on a mobile device and listening via the mobile Spotify application, with the "Streaming Quality" setting set to "Standard." This would significantly reduce your bandwidth usage, as it would bring the data usage for one (1) minute down to 0.74MB from 1.2MB.

I've linked an attachment to Thomas Vanhoutte's Blogspot article breaking down Spotify's bandwidth usage on mobile, browser, and desktop applications.

I certainly hope this helps, and you can find a way to reduce your data usage to a comfortable limit!

Edit: corrected the decimale 0.74MB to 0.72MB

bandwidth.PNG

Thank you. In fact, I meant 1 MB (bytes). I have reduced it to standard quality (160kbps) today but I am still having spikes at 1 MB (even when not listening?!). I'll keep an eye on it and see if it keeps having..

Suggested posts