Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Black record symbol when trying to play songs

Solved!

Black record symbol when trying to play songs

Many songs refuse to play for me over the past few weeks. It seems to be songs that I haven't added my my library and songs that I haven't played before or haven't played in a while.

When I click play song all that happens is where the picture of cover of the song should be all I see is a black record and music does not play.

I have fresh installed spotify a few times to fix this issue but that does not seem to work what so ever. Any help greatly appreicated. 

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

So I found the solution from another thread, I'll post it here as well;

"you have to go in 

C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc

so COPY the file "host" on you're desktop and open that file with notepad

and so delete all that has to do with spotify.

save and copy that file in the same folder with the option "copy and replace"

This fully resolved the issue I had with playing music AND it fixed my "Friend Feed" as well. This was posted by an user "fabiocav_"

View solution in original post

5 Replies

I have the same problem, but logging to a different account broke it completely. Nothing is able to play, no sound is coming, the black (kinda blank) record photo is showing and everything from my created playlists have disappeared. Or rather, the app cannot find any songs from my playlists to begin with, even when they exist. I have done the following and nothing has helped so far;

- Cleaned the cache 
- Clean install
- Install the app from Microsoft store
- Tried the web player, which doesn't do anything
- Tried if it works through my phone (by mirroring or using it as a "remote controller" which has worked SOMETIMES)

None of these work, it's ununsable right now and it frustrates me since I'm actively paying for the Premium membership. It started as a smaller issue with fewer songs not playing a month ago but now it won't play anything. I contacted the support and it was nice but they offered no solution, just a "I hope we get this fixed soon!". 

e05158be7e7c6e69058b29c28c0c97d9.png
Marked as solution

So I found the solution from another thread, I'll post it here as well;

"you have to go in 

C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc

so COPY the file "host" on you're desktop and open that file with notepad

and so delete all that has to do with spotify.

save and copy that file in the same folder with the option "copy and replace"

This fully resolved the issue I had with playing music AND it fixed my "Friend Feed" as well. This was posted by an user "fabiocav_"

Just throwing this out there: I am on my work computer and dton have permissions to edit in that Host folder location. Besides spotify should be able to fix this issue without me having to go do all that 

Oh yeah totally, but it's the best option/solution for the time being until Spotify gets a solution of their own. It's a shame that customers have to do stuff like clear caches or modify the Hosts file for the product to work properly but it is what it is. 😕

Thankyou, worked for me!

Suggested posts