Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Black screen after installation for Windows Traditional Chinese (Taiwanese) users

Black screen after installation for Windows Traditional Chinese (Taiwanese) users

Plan

Premium

Country

Taiwan

Device

Microsoft Store Windows 10 / Binary installer form Official site .

Operating System

Windows 10 20H2

My Question or Issue

Users that using Windows 10 in Traditional Chinese (Taiwanese) will see a black screen after installation.

Users have to add "language=zh-TW" into the "prefs" file manually to fix the problem.

This seems already existed for months. I can see a lot of people crying under you comment section on Microsoft Store.

4 Replies

Hi @butyshu,

Welcome to the Community and thank you for bringing this up. 

We haven't seen other reports about this on the Community, so we'd like to look into it.

Could you confirm if the same happens when you download the app directly from our website through this link? 

Keep us posted.

MafeGModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Hi, thank you for replying.

I have tried from both link and Microsoft Store.

Both version showed black screen to me. I fixed the problem with Microsoft Store one. Didn't try with binary one.

A local thread says the zh-TW.mo resource file is missing. and ask people to rename zh-Hant.mo to zh-TW.mo to solve the problem.

I followed another solution that says to add "language=zh-TW" at the bottom of "prefs" configuration file. This one worked for me.

Hi @butyshu,

Thank you for your swift reply. 

We went ahead and reported this to the right team, who will look into it backstage. We appreciate that you took the time to report this and share the workaround, we'll surely keep it in mind if there are other users encountering the same issue.

Let us know if we can help you with anything else.

MafeGModerator

Hi @butyshu,

We want to give you a heads up that this should be fixed by now.

Could you try installing the app without performing the workaround and let us know how it works? 

We'll be on the lookout.

MafeGModerator

Suggested posts