Buffering while playing podcasts (my internet speed is not the problem)

Buffering while playing podcasts (my internet speed is not the problem)

Lorentari
Casual Listener

Plan

Premium

Country

Denmark

Device

Desktop

Operating System

Windows 10

My Question or Issue

I'm having an issue with playing podcasts that took me back to the early 2000's - buffering... About every 30-60 seconds the audio will stop, buffer for 5-10 seconds and then continue for 30-60 seconds and... you get the idea.

Before you ask... my internet connection is definitely not the problem. I live in Denmark, so my internet is stable at 460/60 Mbit (enough to download GTA V in 20 minutes) connection; I'm running on Ethernet/LAN. Nor is my RAM the culprit as I still have about 8 GBs free

Please help me. Buffering only happens on podcasts, not on music (or Netflix and YouTube)

28 Replies

Trikel
Casual Listener

Hey Spotify, 

Seems like a lot of people are experiencing similar issues with The Joe Rogan Experience podcast. 

There is a consistent lag in starting and stopping any episode. There is significant lag in the application on PC (app and web player). Since audio only streaming works fine, it is perhaps something to do with your video rendering inside the app?

Please, flag this with the relevant product department and let a developer or QA have a real look at it. Unless you're already aware and are "working" on a fix. 

Trikel
Casual Listener
My particular issue was resolved by TURNING OFF HARDWARE ACCELERATION. 🙂

SpectreNexus

Any update? 

I mean, my payment comes out on time without issue, yet I'm still unable to watch JRE without buffering on any device every minute or so. I'm not going to list all the info you keep requesting, because it isn't on my end, but it happens to every device I own... all of them.

Music plays fine.

It's clearly a Spotify issue.

LG G5

LG VELVET

S9

S10

S10+

ECHO SHOW 10.1"

ANDROID BOX

ASUS laptop/WIN10

HP PAVILION laptop/WIN10

GAMING PC WIN10, 8 core, 32gb ram in raid 6 running Raptor 10k ram drives and the OS is installed on an SSD.

Internet is a mesh gaming setup, with devices running both wired and wi-fi.

I can easily run 4K streaming video, on multiple devices, without issue when using any other platform.

Internet is 360/30 Mbps....

All devices are updated to newest versions. 

Web player, same issue. 

So how do you Deflect this? 

Ryan1998
Visitor
spotify sort your **bleep**bleep** out, your a rich company allocate some **bleep**in data usage to the users so they can watch a podcast without it buffering every 5 seconds, JRE was fine on youtube, as soon as i watch on spotify its slow asf, SORT IT OUT WE PAY MONEY FOR THIS

nfuri
Regular
I have this same problem. Spotify is fine for music but sooooo bad for podcasts. This app in general is trash compared to iTunes. I also get ads even though I pay for Premium, which is b.s.

Kerppo
Visitor

same problem here,using laptop with windows 10. Laggy video sometimes,especially when when playing something and listening podcats on the background.

No other platform has this problem (youtube.netflix etc.) and internet speed not the problem.

Mdbronco
Visitor

Exact same problem. Premium account, Swedish network, iPhone 11. It’s pretty pathetic.

Really wish JRE just stayed where it was. It’s unlistenable now.

Mickeyrad
Visitor

Same issue here, but on a Macbook Pro running 10.15.7

Spotify ver: 1.1.43.700.g20acee0f

Felipemedlev
Casual Listener

Hi!

The problem was not of my device. The podcast host mentioned that many people had the problem and it was because of the servers in which they uploaded the podcast.

After changing servers, it all worked fine.

BrazyB
Visitor
Same happening for me. Never used the Podcast option of spotify but since JRE moved there I had no other option. I am hugely disappointed how slow the system is running. The Video seems not synchronized from time to time and the lags are absolutely annoying. I love the music option spotify has and I am a premium user since multiple years so I never thought that they would have such problems with offering podcast.

Ver

Hey everyone,

Thanks for reaching out to us. This sounds odd and we'll do our best to help you out.

We'd suggest you start off by restarting the device. Then you can log out and log back in to the account. It's also a good idea to give these steps a go and run a clean reinstall. That way you can make sure the cache is not leading to this issue.

If that doesn't do the trick, you can try playing a podcast on another device. By doing that we can check if it is a device or account-related issue.

Keep us in the loop! If you have questions, you know where to find us.

VerModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
"Difficult roads often lead to beautiful destinations." ―Zig Ziglar

fors82zy
Music Fan

Complete uninstall/reinstall, clearing cache, etc. does absolutely nothing to stop the constant buffering of *only* the podcasts on Spotify Premium for Windows 10 app. Music? Works perfectly. Podcasts are the only issue. And podcasts are working on every other streaming platform I've tried except Spotify. It's a Spotify issue and I hope you folks can fix this soon, as it's apparent it's an issue for many here. 

Mario

Hey @fors82zy ,

Thank you for reaching out and for letting us know the troubleshooting steps you've completed.

Can you sign into Spotify with another account? For example a friend or family members account on the device it occurs on to see if the issue persists? 

It would also be great if you could let us know what version of Spotify you have on the device. 

Let us know how everything goes. We're looking forward to your reply.

MarioModerator
"There's more to living than only surviving." - Dexter Holland

fors82zy
Music Fan

Thank you for your response Mario. I can't sign in with another account; I only have the one. I am running Spotify version 1.1.41.634.gc2c73ca7 (Microsoft Store version). Also, I noticed that the podcasts work fine if I cast to an external device such as an Echo Dot. The problem occurs only when I use the Spotify app on the device it resides on; in this case, a PC laptop.

Xenia

Hey all,

Thanks for keeping us in the loop and sending over these details!

Do you mind trying the web player on the affected device to see if that makes a difference?

Let us know how it goes! We’ll be right here if you still need help.

XeniaModerator
"Where words fail, music speaks." - Hans Christian Andersen

fors82zy
Music Fan
Hello,

The web player does not work either. Still constant buffering to the point where the podcast is completely unlistenable.

Elena

Sorry to hear this @fors82zy!

Is this happening to all podcasts that you try streaming or just one/a few? If it's the latter, can you send us the URI's so that we'd be able to take a closer look?

In the meantime, we'd recommend checking your firewall settings and turning off your VPN if you're using one since that can affect the playback.

We'll be on the lookout for your reply!

ElenaModerator

fors82zy
Music Fan
Hello Elena,

No VPN, firewall settings are not set in such a way as to contribute to any sort of buffering. Joe Rogan Experience Podcast is the main issue. Listening to it on YouTube on the exact same device works perfectly; no issues whatsoever.

Thank you,

Todd

Mihail

Hey @fors82zy,

Thanks for getting back to us with this additional info.

Could you let us know whether or not the buffering issue occurs when you log in to another device? It would be great if you could also test it with a friend or family members account. This would help us determine if the root cause of the problem account or device related.

We'll be keeping an eye out for your reply 🙂

MihailModerator

“Music is a language that doesn’t speak in particular words. It speaks in emotions, and if it’s in the bones, it’s in the bones.” - Keith Richards

fors82zy
Music Fan
Hello,

Podcasts are buffering on iOS as well; I have spoken with friends who have tried it on Android and it’s the same issue.
SUGGESTED POSTS