Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Bug: Constant writes for creating download and user directories, cpu usage and unable to close

Bug: Constant writes for creating download and user directories, cpu usage and unable to close

Plan

Free

Country

UK

Device

Asus Republic of Gamers

Operating System

Windows 10

My Question or Issue

I'm using the windows desktop app. For the last 3 years it has taken a constant 10% of my cpu, even when idle, or the app is closed. Closing the app keeps the process open, and spotify cannot be reopened until the process is killed.

Upon investigation I have noticed that it is constantly trying to create files or directories for the following locations as demonstrated within the screenshot:

c:\Users\{username}\Downloads

c:\Users\{username}\AppData\Roaming\Spotify

I have uninstalled, including deleting all remaining spotify files, and reinstalled latest versions several times during this 3 year period and this bug has never been fixes even though reports of constant cpu usage and inability to close app appears on the web. Hopefully these details will actually help you fix this issue.

Additional notes,  c:\Users\{username}\Downloads is actually a symbolic link to another drive, but c:\Users\{username}\AppData\Roaming\Spotify is not.

Spotify constant write and cpu usage, unable to close.png
0 Replies

Suggested posts