Can no longer create radio stations

Can no longer create radio stations

Plan:

Family Premium

Australia

Operating System:

Windows 10 1809 October 2018 Update/ Spotify App from Microsoft Store

Issue:

There is no 'Create New Station +' button in the Radio category in the desktop app. Furthermore, creating a playlist based on a song from the right click context menu creates a Spotify-curated playlist based on the artist - meaning the station stops once the playlist ends.
This issue did exist in the Android app for a little bit - but was recently solved.

This is inconvenient as making radio stations was far easier to listen to music rather than making new playlists every time.

EDIT: as of 14/01/19 on Spotify version 8.4.88.150 for Android, issue is occuring again. Stations are not created, and are instead playlists based on the song or artist. Very frustrating - there is no changelog for updates like this, which makes it very frustrating when it disappears randomly.

Annotation 2019-01-06 144456.jpg
Annotation 2019-01-06 144653.jpg
Screenshot_20190114-075205_Spotify.jpg
54 Replies

I'm also having this issue in Windows 10, version 1803.  I don't have the create station button and making a station from the right-click context menu for a song or artist makes a one time playlist.

There must be others who cannot create Radio Stations.  I am new, just switched to Premium, and have uninstalled Spotify, and renamed the remaining folder, so that when I reinstalled Spotify everything was clean, except again no button to create a Radio Station.   If there are others with this issue please speak up about this issue.

Windows 10 current.

I'm also having this problem. I'm on Windows 8.1, so it's not exclusive to Windows 10.

A very crude workaround is to create your desired radio station on the Android/iPhone app. It will then appear in your Recently Played list on the Radio tab. It's far from ideal, but it's decent enough for a temporary solution while we wait for a proper fix.

Radios are the main reason I subscribed to Spotify Premium, and this change really doesn't make sense to me. These curated playlists are not tailored to my taste like the radio used to be, and I don't really enjoy listening to them.

I hope this is only a temporary change, and they'll restore the original functionality. Radios with autoplay enabled and saved Stations still work as expected though.

What version of the windows app are you guys using?

It was working on mine on the latest from the windows store then it just dissapeared same as yours and the create new station option is gone now

Im guessing its something else that people use that they now removed

It seems that every update they remove a feature that people actually use and find useful

Yes, I wondered if my iPhone would have that same issue, and I did find that work-around,  for now.  Thank you

I should be using the current version of Spotify, but I did go to help - about and see this listing, 1.0.96.181.gf6bc1b6b

Also, I did not want to complicate my question but my Create New Station option is also gone.

I just uninstalled and installed an older version and create radio station is there so it looks like they did remove it now in the new version.

The only problem is that it updates itself so the new version dont have this feature now:-(

Same for me. Does not work on Win10 (latest build) and the most recent Spotify App loaded from the Microsoft Store. I don't think that the playlists are curated though. Seems more likely to me that they are still generated automatically but obviously lack the radio-mode features like voting thumbs up/down and dynamic expansion of the playlist based on your votes.

Everything works fine on my iOS devices though (iPhone and iPad).

Just got a response from Spotify via Twitter. Seems like they are testing new features and have changed the behavior of the App a bit.

Check this document: 

https://support.spotify.com/is/using_spotify/system_settings/why-am-i-seeing-different-features-than...

and click on "Where is radio"...

Hope that does the trick for you 😉

I checked out the Spotify document, and I am aware that Search is the obvious way to create a Radio station, but that is limited on the Desktop app.  I was using Pandora shuffle, and I liked the control to check and uncheck my Artist lists to focus the mood.  Switching to Spotify I think it is silly, at best, to base an entire Radio station on ONE song? That seems a wide stretch. I have read you can create that Pandora effect by turning a created Playlist into a Radio station.  That I can do on by IOS but not on this Windows 10 Desktop.  But I have notice none of those Playlist stations have shown up in my Station list.  Either I don't get Stations or that does not work on Windows 10 either.  I guess it comes down to the idea of allowing the user to control their own musical direction.  Maybe over time Spotify will gain a better understanding of the vaste range of my musical tastes and this will no longer be an issue.  I have ninety days to see that can happen.

I created radio stations to find new music based on my likes.  Now that is out the window.  Please Spotify, bring it back.  My only other choice is to start looking elsewhere for music.  That made a difference between you and some of the others that I liked. Now you are just all the more the same

Hi,

I have the same issue.

I try creating the playlist from a song, and it is showing just 50 songs, and it is not growing while playing. It looks like the function is working with a predesigned list and it is not doing any intelligence to keep playing a similar song.

What a shame on Spotify.

Hope this is temporary.

I share your concern. It is confusing being a Newbie to Spotify and
reading about how wonderful the create Radio and Stations are and not be
able to actually use these exceptional features to their full extent. I
wasted too much time trying to understand and solve what is a Spotify
problem. Since I am on the Ninety day $10 plan I hope by that timeline
these Window 10 problems will be either solved or better explained.

I would think there are many other Window Desktops users, like you, that
are also frustrated, and that should be encouraged to speak up in this
forum, to gain attention of Spotify.

Dont hold your breath

These "problems" dont exist in the eyes of spotify developers

These issues wont be solved or better explained

If you are new to spotify,i would suggest looking through all the complaints about features that have been removed over the years,they never get put back

There are no chagelogs so that you might know what features are taken away,and updates are forced upon you whether you like it or not

One day you are using a feature that you love...next day its gone without warning or without the choice to update or not

Try and suggest an idea or want these features back?It gets shut down and we are told it wont be fixed or that its not an issue

You pay your money,they do what they want

If you are staying with spotify then buckle up and get ready for a rough ride,customer service is appalling and development is a joke regarding how the app/features used to be and what they have removed.

All in my humble opinion of course 😉

Same, I am super disappointed that they removed the station and replaced it with static pre-designed playlists rather than input based dynamic stations. Total garbage. I hope they turn the station feature back on.

I just switched from Pandora because of this feature and now it had been removed. Does Spotify monitor this community? I don't see them weighing in on the problem. I just may head back to Pandora if this doesn't get resolved. They have stations that you can modify. 

The more I play, I am very new, with Spotify the more I see that it just
isn't Pandora. Unless you are a die hard Playlist maker, which I do not
have the time for, Spotify provides its own Personnel Playlists for you in
Made For You, and all your Daily Mixes. As for creating a playlist
(Station) for individuals artists so far Amazon Music has much greater list
of Stations with better choices, and greater variety mixes of music. I
have been checking songs which goes to your Song list, but never play that
list. I am thinking by checking songs that I like that would help focus
Spotify to play the music I actually care about. On the Daily Mixes it
sometimes does, but most of the music is filler quality, so far. Than you
have Your Discover Weekly, but not sure if that is much of anything,
besides what I read is that it is being used as an Ad product. Not sure
what else to tell you, besides my tastes of music is vast form Mozart to
Janelle Monae, and I like a Vast mix of music to go match those interests,
and so far Spotify has been a struggle. Scott

Playlist Radio is back! Confirmed on both Android and Windows 10 desktop.

You can create radio stations from your playlists again. Still no 'Create new station' and Radio is missing on Android, though newly created playlist radios can be accessed through Recently Played.

Suggested posts