Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Can no longer drag-and-drop from Spotify desktop app for windows to Excel spreadsheet

Can no longer drag-and-drop from Spotify desktop app for windows to Excel spreadsheet

Plan

Premium

Country

USA

Device

Windows PC

Operating System

Windows 10 x64

My Question or Issue

I have two Windows PCs, both with the latest version of MS Office 365 installed, both running Windows 10.  They are both running the latest version of the Spotify desktop app, installed directly from the Spotify website (not the Windows store).  On one PC, I can select one or more tracks in the Spotify desktop app and drag them into an Excel spreadsheet, at which point Excel fills a column of cells (one cell per track) with <song name> - <artist> for each track, each of which is a hyperlink to open the corresponding track in the Spotify web player.  So far so good.

On the other PC, when I attempt to drag songs from the Spotify desktop app to Excel, my mouse cursor becomes a circle with a line through it, implying that Excel isn't a drop target.  I am able to drag the songs to a text editor and a column of open.spotify.com URLs is pasted, but no song / artist name.

Why does dragging-and-dropping from the Spotify desktop app to Excel work on one PC and not the other?  How can I get the behavior of the first PC to occur on the second?

1 Reply

One additional detail: the PC with the desired drag-and-drop behavior is running Windows 10 Home version 1909, while the other PC is running Windows 10 Enterprise version 1809.  Is the drag-and-drop functionality somehow dependent upon having a newer version of Windows 10?  Unfortunately, the older version is on my work PC and I cannot update it to test that hypothesis.

Suggested posts