Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Can no longer play music on Windows 10 :(

Can no longer play music on Windows 10 :(

I get 2 different errors when I try to play a song. Mostly I get "Spotify canot play this right now. If you have the file on your computer you can import it." but sometimes it jumps from song to song to song too fast for them to begin playing (not even songs in the current playlist, random songs I think). The lower left corner just keeps switching songs really fast. 

I have done some research already on here and here is what I had tried (without success):

- Uninstalling and re-installing the app

- Closing the app and renaming the local-files.bnk file

- Disabling hardware acceleration

Spotify has been working fine for months on this computer (Dell / Windows 10) and just started doing this maybe a week ago. I did not change any settings and it hasn't updated that I know of. I can play all of the same playlists just fine on my mobile devices so the issue isn't the songs I am choosing. It is an issue with the Windows app. Help!!!!

Plan

Premium

Country

USA 

Device

Dell Inspiron 17 7000 Series

Operating System

Windows 10

3 Replies

Hey @jenn5175!

This a known bug with the desktop app and Spotify is investigating the issue. There is a workaround which seems to be working for some users. Can you try the following steps:

1. Open Notepad as an administrator (right-click - Open as Administrator)
  2. go to File - Open and navigate to C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc
  3. Choose "All Files" instead of "Text Documents" next to the File Name box. You'll see a handful of files. Pick hosts and click on Open
  4. When the file is open, you will see a block of text with # in front of each line and might see entries like 0.0.0.0 website.com127.0.0.1 website2.com
  5. Check for any entries with Spotify in the address. Examples may look like: 0.0.0.0 weblb-wg.gslb.spotify.com0.0.0.0
  6. If you do find any lines with Spotify, please remove them.
  7. Save your changes and restart Spotify.

Hope that solves the issue! Let me know if you have further questions. There is also an open issue about this here where you can track it and vote for it so it catches more attention. I hope this will get fixed on Spotify's end soon.

Have a nice day 🙂

Thank you so much for this detailed response! Afer a week of this issue, I opened it up today and it started playing my music just fine - without me making a single change! So strange! I will be bookmarking for answer in case it does this again so I can go try it. Thank you thank you thank you!

@jenn5175

You are welcome. Take care 🙂

Suggested posts