Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Can't find downloaded music

Solved!

Can't find downloaded music

I'm a new premium member.  My settings specify my Offline Songs Storage is C:\Users\<my logon ID>\AppData\Local\Spotify\Storage.  I downloaded an album and it appears in my "Your Library" in the Windows Spotify app.  But there's nothing more than a 2 KB index.dat file there.  I was hoping to see a dozen .mp3 files. Index.dat isn't a text file that points to the location of the downloaded files.   Under ...Spotify\Data there are 26 subfolders but only a total of 3.25 MB.  

Does anyone know how this is supposed to work?  Does Spotify use some proprietary file format vs .mp3?  

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey @blmuzzy

Spotify uses .ogg file format. 🙂

Music downloaded in Spotify is intended for use within the Spotify app. That means you can listen to the downloaded content when there is no connection.

The files that appear when downloading music are understandable only to Spotify, and it's against the terms of use to extract songs from Spotify.

Let me know if you have more questions. 🙂

SebastySpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Marked as solution

Hey @blmuzzy

Spotify uses .ogg file format. 🙂

Music downloaded in Spotify is intended for use within the Spotify app. That means you can listen to the downloaded content when there is no connection.

The files that appear when downloading music are understandable only to Spotify, and it's against the terms of use to extract songs from Spotify.

Let me know if you have more questions. 🙂

SebastySpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

There are no .ogg files anywhere on my PC but the album plays when Spotify is set to offline mode.  I did notice a few subfolders under ...\Spotify\Storage have popped up, but there's still only 4 KB of files there so it must have used a different file extension, in a different location, or with some massive compression.  It's sorta moot because I wanted the .mp3 files for other purposes so I'll cancel my premium account.  Thanks again for your answer!

Suggested posts