Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Can't import itunes playlist

Can't import itunes playlist

Hi,

I've finally taken the jump to try to migrate my music from iTunes to Spotify. I can't, however, import any of my iTunes playlists. When I click File-> Import playlists -> Itunes absolutely nothing happens (I have made sure playlist sharing is enabled on itunes and have converted all my smart playlists to static playlists). Similarly, dragging a playlist from iTunes to Spotify also doesn't work. The one thing that I thought may be an issue is that my Itunes library is set to a folder in Dropbox - may Spotify doesn't know to look there. Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Sam

10 Replies

Hello @Skchia,

Welcome to Spotify Community!

Just make sure to restart Spotify client before importing.

For some reason, Spotify client does not detect the newly created ˜/Music/iTunes/iTunes Music Library.xml without a restart.

Also, make sure to have your iTunes Library and all of your local files locations enabled in Preferences -> Local files.

Thanks for your advice, unfortunately rebooting and restarting has not made
a difference.

Hello @Skchia,

Can you please follow the guide below so I can get some additional information what's going on:

• Close Spotify ( Spotify -> Quit Spotify )
  • Open up terminal
  • Execute the following command:
    /Applications/Spotify.app/Contents/MacOS/Spotify --show-console

• Wait for Spotify to stop outputting data to the console
  • After it's done hit enter 5-6 times ( this is going to be out start point )
  • Go to the Spotify client and add Imports your iTunes playlist ( File -> Import playlists -> Itunes )
  • Copy the code that was sent to the terminal here ( from our start point to the end ) 

Thanks again for your time in helping out. I've finally worked out that
Spotify only scans the default itunes folder so have had to move everything
from Dropbox to the original folder (was hoping to avoid this but the
migration should be a one off event).
Regards
Sam

00:38:36.661 E [xml_sax_parser_expat.cpp:67     ] no element found at line 1, column 0

You actually only have to copy the xml file to the location spotify is looking for.

Big thanks. This was the solution for me. As noted below, also only have to copy the properly named xml file to the default location. No need to move your whole library. 

How do I know the location Spotify is looking for?

I don’t have my MacBook with me to double check, but it’s the default iTunes location which I think is ˜/Music/iTunes/iTunes Music Library.xml

changing the name to itunes music library.xml worked within the last year (2017).  i can't get it to work today (5/2018).  Any ideas

Suggested posts