Can't like local files

Can't like local files

pson

Plan

Premium

Device

Samsung A3 and Windows 10

My Question or Issue

So with the latest update and what it seems like the next step in removing support for local files all together you can no longer like local files.

What is the reason behind this?

That and in combination of transforming the Liked songs playlist to a thing you manually can't add songs to has made Spotify, once again, to take a turn to the worse in the recent few years.

Please tell me that this is some misstake from either me that's missing something or a bug that you'll fix asap.

If this is, once again, something that you've removed and tell me to make a post about it as "a new idea" I don't know what I'll do....

11 Replies

Arikabeth

It seems you can like local files when using the Spotify app on android (though no luck on the desktop app).

What you mean with "manually can't add songs to"? Maybe there was some functionality about the pre-updated songs list that I forgot, but I don't get what you mean with this.

You can copy multiple songs into the "liked songs" on the desktop version if you want to add multiple songs to the liked songs at once, or drag song into the "liked songs" to add them as well.

pson

I only have local files on my desktop so that's where my problem is, this was possible before but now the area where the heart is on any other file is just empty.

Maybe I'm becoming senil but didn't 'Liked Songs' used to be placed under 'Playlists'?

Never had to add a song to it manually before so maybe I'm completely off..

Either way I can't add songs to it manually, maybe we are on different versions? I'm on 1.1.10.540.gfcf0430f and I sure can't find any button or anything that makes it possible for me to add a local file to the list.

Arikabeth

I recall having a hard time adding local files to my "songs" list before the update, but I may also misremember. My current desktop version is 1.1.10.540.gfcf0430f , but the version number doesn't quite reflect different features users have due to the way Spotify operate with A/B testing, as far as I know.

Anyway, the "trick" that works for me is as follows (and yes it's convoluted/clunky, but it's an option at least...):

1. Have both the desktop app and the mobile app running and connected to the same local network (so that when you play a song on the desktop app, the song playing show up on the mobile app).
  2. Start playing the local file song on the desktop app.
  3. Click on the heart to like the currently playing local file song on the mobile app.
  4. Your local file should now appear in the "liked songs" in the desktop app.

Arikabeth

There is another playlist called "liked from radio" which still exist (at least it does for me), which show up under playlists (just search for "liked from radio and it should show up).

The "liked from radio" playlist still gets updated if you listen to a "real" radio and hit the "save to liked songs", but it's a tad misleading since "artist radios" and "song radios" aren't "real" radios in the sense that they aren't continually generated unlike "playlist radios" (so songs only get added to the "liked from radio" if you hit the "save to liked songs" while listening to a "playlist radio").

Wow that last paragraph was a mouthful.

pson

@Arikabeth wrote:

I recall having a hard time adding local files to my "songs" list before the update, but I may also misremember. My current desktop version is 1.1.10.540.gfcf0430f , but the version number doesn't quite reflect different features users have due to the way Spotify operate with A/B testing, as far as I know.

Anyway, the "trick" that works for me is as follows (and yes it's convoluted/clunky, but it's an option at least...):

1. Have both the desktop app and the mobile app running and connected to the same local network (so that when you play a song on the desktop app, the song playing show up on the mobile app).
  2. Start playing the local file song on the desktop app.
  3. Click on the heart to like the currently playing local file song on the mobile app.
  4. Your local file should now appear in the "liked songs" in the desktop app.

Never thought of that workaround but it worked (almost) so guess that'll be removed soon in Spotifys war against local files.

The almost part is because it doesn't work on songs once availible on Spotify but now removed. They just show as greyed out unplayable tracks and this wasn't the case before so it still sucks and that's like 75% of the reason that I have to use local files...

Some bands and/or labels are impossible, they add an album just to remove it a few weeks later and then add it again after six months...

But thanks for this partial solution, for how ever long it will continue to work. 🙂

pson

@Arikabeth wrote:

There is another playlist called "liked from radio" which still exist (at least it does for me), which show up under playlists (just search for "liked from radio and it should show up).

The "liked from radio" playlist still gets updated if you listen to a "real" radio and hit the "save to liked songs", but it's a tad misleading since "artist radios" and "song radios" aren't "real" radios in the sense that they aren't continually generated unlike "playlist radios" (so songs only get added to the "liked from radio" if you hit the "save to liked songs" while listening to a "playlist radio").

Wow that last paragraph was a mouthful.

It sure was and don't think I understood what you wanted to say 😄

But this isn't about liking songs in the radio function, never use it since it's completely useless in playing a constant stream of songs that's even remotely close to the same genre as the stations "origin" and by that loose its function.

Arikabeth

I pretty much never used the "liked from radio" playlist myself, and I agree that the autogenerated radio stations can be hit and miss, but I found them to work quite well for certain kinds of music, mostly more "calm" or "focus" music.

OmnilibYEEpostr
Dude, you're an absolute godsend, thank you

Skiadrum
thats what i did, and i was going through some of my local songs and doing that to save them to the liked playlist but then it stopped working, the old songs I had already added are there but it doesn't work when I try to add another song

Mihail

Hey folks,

Thanks for reaching out to the Community. Apologies for the delayed response, we just came across this thread.

We understand that adding local files to your Liked Songs is a popular feature request and will take it into consideration when moving forward. We also encourage you to add your support to this Idea on our Exchange. We'll keep you updated on any news on the matter there, as soon as there are any, so it's a good idea to also subscribe. 

@Skiadrum could you make sure that the playlist with the local files is fully downloaded when you try to like the songs? If afterwards the issue persists, remove all playlists with imported local files and perform a clean reinstall on both devices using these steps. You can then start the whole process of importing them from scratch using the instructions in this guide. It's a good idea this time do it over another internet connection, e.g. a mobile hotspot, if that's an option.

Hope this helps. Keep us posted on how it goes.  

Mihail Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Agen7orange

**bleep** I **bleep**ING LOVE YOU THANK YOU SO MUCH

Suggested posts

Env: prod