Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Can't make Spotify work on a PC home computer recently upgraded to Windows-10

Can't make Spotify work on a PC home computer recently upgraded to Windows-10

My Spotify problem started when I upgraded my home PC from Windows-7 to Windows-10 and finding nothing but frustration with trying to uninstall and reinstall Spotify which apparently has been corrupted and will only show the playlists I constructed over the years on my MacBook. I've consulted Spotify's technical experts using the chat-line at least four different times and even sent them a screenshot from the PC but this hasn't got me anywhere other than a few more bald spots from pulling out grey hair. So the 64 dollar question is there someone in the community who can provide me some much needed assistance. Perhaps the fault is mine with being 76 years old and too feeble minded to understand the technology but I suspect there are others like me who have thrown in the towel and found another hobby.

Thanks for any help or suggestions ..

Jack

13 Replies

Hey there @jackandruth,

Thank you for your post here in the Community. We're sorry to hear about this.

In this case we suggest that you perform a clean reinstall of the app. This is different than a quick reinstall and could be helpful to get rid of any cached files that might be causing trouble. You can find the steps here

Let us know how everything goes so that we can keep on assist you if you need us to. We're always happy to help 🙂

Cheers!

JeremyModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

Hi Jeremy, I am facing the same issue as well, after a restart on Windows 10. I followed the steps you mentioned to no availl. 

It also looks like there is a bug in your forum that causes some kind of issue during login token creation, had to switch browser or the forum gets stuck in an inifinite loop of re-loading.

Hey there @adam-murray,

Thank you for your post here in this thread and for the feedback.

It would be great if you can let us know what's going on when you open the Spotify app? Are you able to open the Spotify app?

We'll keep an eye out for your reply.

Cheers!

JeremyModerator

Continuing with the trouble shooting of a corrupted Spotify on an old PC home computer that has been recently updated from Windows-7 to Windows-10 and will ABSOLUTELY NOT work or play any of the 20 or so playlists constructed over the years using a MacBook Laptop. I’ve lost track of the number of times I have uninstalled and reinstalled Spotify on the PC with the exact same results and to say this is extremely frustrating would be an under statement.  I've spent countless hours on their so-called "technical chat-line" and this has been a complete waste of my time with talking to people who send boiler-plate messages and absolutely NO HELP at all!!  For damn sure I don’t want to risk loosing any of my playlists or for that matter having to reload all the songs one-at-a-time - simply NOT ACCEPTABLE! Isn’t there a technical wizard or supervisor who can resolve this problem without the usual excuses?

Hey again @jackandruth,

Thank you for getting back in touch with us and for the explanation, and also for the troubleshooting steps you've taken so far.

Can you try the following:

1. Open Notepad as an administrator (right-click - Open as Administrator)
  2. go to File - Open and navigate to C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc
  3. Choose "All Files" instead of "Text Documents" next to the File Name box. You'll see a handful of files. Pick hosts and click on Open
  4. When the file is open, you will see a block of text with # in front of each line and might see entries like 0.0.0.0 website.com127.0.0.1 website2.com
  5. Check for any entries with Spotify in the address. Examples may look like: 0.0.0.0 weblb-wg.gslb.spotify.com0.0.0.0
  6. If you do find any lines with Spotify, please remove them
  7. Save your changes and restart Spotify

Keep us posted.

Take care!

JeremyModerator

The desktop app seems fine on opening, when a song is selected it will immediately fail to play and return the error 'Spotify can't play this right now. If you have the file on your computer you can import it'.

The app works fine on my phone and I can play music there.

Hey again @adam-murray,

Thank you for your reply.

Can you confirm if you followed the last troubleshooting step i provided in this thread?

It would also be good if you can ensure that you have enough storage space.

Cheers!

JeremyModerator

Hi again!

No luck on the hosts update either, I didn't have any spotify related entries.

Looks like this was solved by disabling and re-enabling all audio devices through windows. Looks like it was down to OS configuration.

SUPER FANTASTIC!!! You hit the nail on the head in solving the problem that was beyond all the so-called technical experts who insisted I would have to do a complete clean and reload the 25 or so playlists one-at-a-time which were constructed over the years with my MacBook Laptop and worked PERFECTLY. No doubt the chat-bots were just reading and sending me boiler-plate messages and didn’t have a clue what they were doing. My response to those idiotic suggestions was quite simply - NOT ACCEPTABLE UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES!! THANK YOU VERY MUCH for your excellent fix of disabling and then reenabling all the audio drivers. This has been driving me out of my mind for the last two weeks. INCREDIBLE how easy the solution was after trying everything possible at least 100 times. I am extremely grateful for your support.

Jack

SUPER FANTASTIC!!!  

Exactly what I am seeing on my PC using Windows-10

EXACTLY!!

Suggested posts