Premium

Country

Greece

Device

PC/Laptop

Operating System

Windows 10

My Question or Issue

I was having issues with my old account so I canceled my subscription and made a new one. Everything seemed to be working correctly the first time I logged in, when I upgraded the account to Premium I couldn't play any song. All songs I tried to play stopped after 4-7 seconds at best or didn't play at all, with a blue message on the top of the application: Can't play current song.

I tried multiple fixes listed in the forum:

- Relog / Reinstall / Restart PC

- Clear cache files in AppData 

- Disable hardware acceleration setting

- Enable crossfade to 0 sec

- Play a song from my Android phone and switch to play it on PC

And none of them worked, in fact I had to reinstall Spotify multiple times until it showed my phone under the Devices menu. 

All songs work fine in both web player and Android app. 

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks in advance

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Ok so I managed to fix this issue by cleaning up all addresses in my hosts file in C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc I honestly don't know how it affected Spotify but I guess I was blocking some address that Spotify needs.

View solution in original post

8 Replies

Hey @Akalyptos 

That's an odd case.

I'd suggest checking if you can play anything in the web player. If it fails or doesn't load up at all, I'd suggest this Answer article,  specifically the hosts file fix. Spotify entires in that file can wreak havoc. 🙂

The error message sometimes hints at issues with audio device, so I'd recommend ensuring yours is set as default audio device:

Spoiler

Try this:

1. Right-click on the speaker icon on Taskbar, click on Playback Devices.
2. Highlight the device you're using and set it as Default. Click OK.

Also, make sure you've installed all Windows updates, they often fix various issues with drivers and software. 🙂

Let me know how it goes!

SebastySpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

i currently having a simillar issue in that i start the song and after between 10-40 secinds later the song just stops for no reason, i have a free account if that matters

Hey @vidavski 

Have you tried the methods I described in my previous post? 🙂

Additionally, you could try signing out of all devices through your Spotify account page. Just scroll a little downward on Account Overview and hit the "Sign Out Everywhere" button.

Also, try disabling all options for local files under your Spotify preferences (Edit > Preferences > Local Files).

Make sure you're not using a VPN or a proxy.

Let me know how you get on!

SebastySpotify Star

I accidentally clicked Accept as Solution instead of Reply...
As I said in my original post both the Web Player and my Phone can play all songs with not exception... 
I have also tried your other suggestions about signing out from all other devices and disabling options for Local Files and none of them worked... 

@Akalyptos 

No worries, I unmarked the Solution. 🙂

I would suggest trying that Spotify Answer link too, the hosts file method specifically. Maybe that helps!

Also, have you ever installed an app called EzBlocker?

Let me know!

SebastySpotify Star

I dont know what EzBlocker so I can say 100% I have never installed it

Marked as solution

Ok so I managed to fix this issue by cleaning up all addresses in my hosts file in C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc I honestly don't know how it affected Spotify but I guess I was blocking some address that Spotify needs.

Hey @Akalyptos.

Glad to hear you were able to resolve this one!

Let us know if there's anything else 😉

Suggested posts