Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Can't play current track?

Solved!

Can't play current track?

Keep getting 'Can't play current track' message randomly when I am listening to music. Stops my playlists dead (as in does not skip to the next tune) and also someitmes tunes that dont work one minute work the next. Becoming very frustrating, don't understand why this is happening. 

I am premium member.

221 Replies

i am having the same problem, on Windows an IOS,

spotify must be hurry up with this, before people start leaving spotify.

I just unticked the High Quality Streaming checkbox in Preferences -> Playback and voila, it started playing.

@asd_maverick wrote:

I just unticked the High Quality Streaming checkbox in Preferences -> Playback and voila, it started playing.

I can confirm as of 22 October this worked for me. I had a premium account which I then stopped but this was still ticked. Thank you for highlighting this!

Akiic ToDaHead
https://www.youtube.com/user/AkiicToDaHead1

Casual Gaming

Me too,  I had a premium account which I then stopped too and this was still ticked. Thankyou!!
@asd_maverick wrote:

this totally works - awesome "band-aid" thanks!

I sitll hope Spotify fixes the real issue FAST!!!

I didn't have it checked and it still does it with me. If it won't play it originally, it never will, no matter how many times I try. I'm also a premium user. 

Thank you so much, that solved my problem! Hope Spotify will fix the problem so that we can listen at high quality as well...! 😉 🙂

Disabling "High Quality Streaming" options solved the issue for me. My Premium subscription has ended but High Quality streaming option was enabled. After disabling it, problem has gone

Same problem here. Lots of random tracks won't play. Unticking High Quality did not solve it for me. I am a paying customer. Please sort this out, Spotify.

Are they Spotify tracks or are they ones that appear in the local files tab too @tori03 ?

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Very relevant question, @Peter. Although this happened when I played regular Spotify tracks I now resynced all my local files (30,000 +) and that seems to have done the trick. I didn't realise that Spotify would attempt to play the local file first. Thanks for pointing that out!

It would be great if Spotify would throw some sort of hint when playback fails that this could be an issue related to local files - or at least attempt to play the Spotify version instead.

Thanks again.

It seems like the issue is that Spotify is attempting to play tracks that I also have stored locally in iTunes on my PC, but then encounters some kind of file format compatibility problem and just refuses to the play the track unless I manually "unlink" it.  This seems like a serious bug--it's been driving me nuts for weeks, wondering why so many of my favorite songs will not play on Spotify.  Please update Spotify to either not link to local files in formats it cannot play or enable it to play locally stored files correctly!

If you don't already have it, it has been reported installing Apple Quicktime fixes the iTunes local file codec issue.

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

How did you solve this problem? I also get this message and can't hear the song. I'm not a paying member of Spotify. 

still getting the same can't play current track message. and when it does finally play a track it will not play the next one automatically no matter what!!!!

Marked as solution

If you just cancealled your premium subsciption and now using the  free subsciption Then just follow these few steps

Just go to Edit > preference and untick  "High quality streaming" 

It shoud be working now 🙂

I was getting the "can't play current track" error for every song that i would click on.  somtimes it would play a few seconds of it and then it would stop again.  I disable the hardware acceleration under the preferences tab which seemed to help only slightly.  Then i unclicked the "high quality streaming" and that fixed the problem.  No more "can't play current track" issues.

thanks for the help from everyone on this thread

I almost started to cry until I resorted to google and found kofichinno's response. Thanks! 

I too have this issue, i have a premium subscription

Yes, I have been getting this message for about a month now. I'm extremely frustrated. I love spotify but now it's not even worth it because it just angers me everytime I try to use it. It says "Can't play current track" with every single track I select (spotify and personal music).

Suggested posts