Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Can't play current track?

Solved!

Can't play current track?

Keep getting 'Can't play current track' message randomly when I am listening to music. Stops my playlists dead (as in does not skip to the next tune) and also someitmes tunes that dont work one minute work the next. Becoming very frustrating, don't understand why this is happening. 

I am premium member.

221 Replies

AWESOMEEE!!!!!! thanks soo much. the issue was getting annoying!!

Hey, if anyone else is still having the issue I wrote about it on my blog to help anyone. Hope this helps and I really hope Spotify uncheck it automatically for non-premium users next update. http://bit.ly/1FYMgKY

I had the same problem.I was able to listen again after removing all the songs on Local Files and resync. It seems that I moved my local Music library and didnt update Spotify with the new location.

I had this problem playing one particular song on Spotify Mac OS X. Premuim member.

I quit Spotify, deleted these two folders and now it plays:

[Home Directory]/Library/Caches/com.spotify.Client
[Home Directory]/Library/Application Support/Spotify

I followed all suggestions and YES I was able to play MORE songs especially once I unchecked the music local files location that was no longer available...but still not ALL songs were playable....very weird.  So next I selected the "I-tunes as my location for local files since I use Itunes to manage my music...and surprisingly now ALL songs play.  Very strange but at least it works now!!  Seems to be a bug IMO with Spotify but if not it would be nice if the application would give a clue as to what's wrong.

THANK YOU kofichinno.

Worked, thanks 🙂 this has anoyed me for a while now.....
keep up the good work 🙂

what did you do? Can't find it myself.

I have about 13.000 local songs, organized in folders. I've an unlimited Spotify Subscription.

However, since a while, for local files, it's horrible. It seems to play only 4 out of 5 songs. And then simply stops. As a result, Spotify is not useful at all for playing local files and I have to use another player instead.

I have no issue when Spotify tries to find a spotify file, although it is not correct. I've purchased this music, so the artists are already rewarded...

(also: why can't I sort in local files? but that's just a side note... )

WOW! this is the first time I've ever experienced someone providing helpful info here. I just unchecked that and went back and tried to play a track, and it's playing. amazing!

thank you.

Perfect! this was it! thx

I too have this problem on my Mac. Same problem on Maveric and now on Yosemite. I am a premium user and unchecking the high quality streaming checkbox does not work. 

spotify version: 0.9.14.13.gba5645ad

failing song on playlist: Rock Nostalgia, Accept - Restless and Wild

The strange thing is that if I get this problem, I can search for the song that fails, find the same song as I have in my playlist, then I can play it!

The annoying thing is that I have to search for every song that fails, which sometimes can be alot.....

PLEASE SOLVE THIS SPOTIFY!!!!

Best Regards

I'm having this same issue. It won't play any song on any of my playlists. Frustrating.

Unchecking "high quality streaming" under Playback in Preferences fixed the issue for me. I was previously a Premium user and switched back to Free though it remained checked and would sometimes work though it is a premium feature. Hope this helps!

I'd recommend checking if you are able to play these songs in the web player. There's a chance that they are simply no longer available due to the artists/label/etc. pulling them from Spotify.

Thanks - deleting the cache seems to have worked for me.

Well unchecking high quality seems to have worked!

I think this check box may not have been available before I updated the version... Or maybe I missed it.

Either way. Its working for for first tme in months.

So yay!

The same thing happened to me, if you have your local files synchronized with spotify and the hard drive where you have it is being disconnected, then a conflict between files you have and files spotify is created, because spotify gives preference to those local files and not find them,

simply removes local files routes or create them again

It work for me, note that the error is only on the tracks that you have on your computer

This worked for me!! 🙂 thank you so much!! this was driving me nuts!!

Thanks @alexhoffman - driving me nuts for ages. I was also premium to free and unchecking "high quality streaming" box fixed it.

This happens to me a LOT.  I followed this thread and see the oft' repeated suggestion to uncheck "High quality streaming."

It's unchecked.

Still getting "Can't play the current track."

WTF?

Screenshot: it plays the next track, but not most of the tracks after that.

Are some of these tracks just verboten, TaylorSwifted?

Next suggeston?

Screen Shot 2014-12-15 at 5.19.57 PM.png

Suggested posts