Premium

Country

Sweden

Device

PC

Operating System

Windows 7

My Question or Issue

Whenever I try to play local files on my computer  I get the error message "Spotify can'tr play this right now. If you have the file on your computer you can import it"

Obviously the file's on my computer, but it can't play. I've tried to switch between devices, un- and reclicking the options under local files and restarted several times. If I have the file downloaded on both my phone and computer, then it plays fine.

Does anyone have a solution for this?

Thanks guys!

9 Replies

Hey @Enigma.

Let's make sure you're following these steps to add your local files to your desktop. Also, if the songs are .mp4, make sure Quicktime is installed for them to play.

Let us know how it goes.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”
― Maria Augusta von Trapp

Sorry Alfredo, I've done everything the guide tells me to. I have the files imported to my library, but whenever I try to play them I get the error message.

Thanks for getting back to us.

In this case, let's try moving a small portion of your local files to a new folder, and importing it instead to see if it helps.

Let us know how it goes.

Sorry, doesn't work either... I copy the file to a new folder, I add the folder the the sources spotify pick local files from. Spotify finds the file, but refuse to play it. just like before.

I understand.

Just to confirm, where did you purchase the songs you're trying to import from? Also, what's the format of the files?

In the meantime, make sure your desktop's sound drivers are fully up to date.

All the best.

Hi again!

It's two mp3 audio dramas bought from Black library. https://www.blacklibrary.com/all-products/prophets-of-waaagh-the-end-of-daze-audio.html and

https://www.blacklibrary.com/new-titles/featured/mp3-bozgat's-big-adventure.html

I haven't checked the sound drives (and can't at thr moment) but I'll get back on that.

Thanks for your time so far!

Thanks for all the info!

We'll keep an eye out for your reply when you can check the sound drivers.

In case they're up to date already, try adding the files using a different device if possible.

All the best.

Hi!

The drivers all seem up to date, still the file won't play. I've tried adding more, but it didn't work either.

How do you mean adding files using a different device?

Thanks for the help so far!

Thanks for getting back to us!

Do you happen to have a different desktop/laptop you could use? You can transfer some of the local files over, and try syncing them on a different device to see if it behaves the same.

In case there's no way for you to try a different device, try changing the songs' format to see if it helps. You can find the supported formats Spotify supports here.

All the best.

Suggested posts