Premium Family Plan

Country

AU

Device

PC

Operating System

Windows 10

My Question or Issue

Hi, so I've been using Spotify on my pc for ages with no issues but lately, it's been unusable.  I can't play any song, it doesn't come up with a "you can't play this song" message, it just flat out doesn't play it, yet it will randomly pick songs and play them. I can't fast forward to the next song, I'm just stuck on whatever song it wants me to listen to. I thought this was an issue with it connecting to my phone or my phone connecting to my PC but I've tried completely powering off my phone and that doesn't fix it. When my phone is completely off I can't play any songs, and when it's on It does this weird thing where it will skip through like 50 songs at super rapid speed and then land on one and play it. I can't use my phone to control which song my PC is playing either.  I've reinstalled it multiple times and tried the desktop and app versions. 

7 Replies

Hey @Jfizzzzle,

Thanks for posting in the Community.

Are we talking about an account with a Premium subscription or a free account? On this note, does this issue occur with different account on your device setup?

You mentioned you've reinstalled the desktop app already, but could you give it a go with the steps from this page? Also make sure to download the Spotify desktop app from the Microsoft store.

It's also worth trying to connect to a different network, e.g. a hot spot from your mobile phone.

Keep us posted on how that went,

Cheers!

DianModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

Same issue here. Started around the time of some of the last 2 updates for the app for windows. Tried reinstallling the app, deleting cache/temp files but nothing changed.  Playlists work ok, but if i try to play an album or single songs nothing happens when hitting the play button. And im on the paid version of spotify.

Hi there @Hihat1,

Thank you for your reply and for trying the troubleshooting that was provided 🙂

Can you have someone log in with their account on your device - such as a friend or a family member? This will help us understand if it's account related or not.

On another note, can you remove all lines from your hosts file by following the steps bellow to see if the issue persists:

1. Open Notepad as an administrator (right-click > Open as Administrator)
  2. Go to File > Open, and navigate to C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc
  3. Choose All Files instead of Text Documents next to the File Name box
    1. You'll see a handful of files, pick hosts and click Open.
  4. When the file is open, you will see a block of text with # in front of each line and might see entries like 0.0.0.0 website.com127.0.0.1 website2.com
  5. Check for any entries with Spotify in the address
    1. Examples may look like 0.0.0.0 weblb-wg.gslb.spotify.com0.0.0.0
  6. If you do find any lines with Spotify, please remove them
  7. Save your changes and restart Spotify

Let us know how it goes so that we can continue to assist you if you need us to.

Have a great Friday and start of your weekend!

JeremyModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

nope, theres no files at the location that have a word spotify or anything similar on them. So theres nothing to remove for me there that relates to the spotify itself. The web player is working fine, same with old version of the mobile app. I wish i could just block the updates on the desktop app in general to avoid stuff like this happening.

Hey there @Hihat1

Thanks for your reply.

Just to make sure, have you tried performing a clean reinstall of the app by following the steps @Dian sent previously? That one is more thorough than the usual one.

If that doesn't do the trick, we suggest that you head over to settings > toggle on Show Local Files > toggle off all the sources that appear there > toggle off Show Local Files. Afterwards, restart your PC to check if it makes the difference.

On another note, we'd recommend checking your firewall and making sure Spotify is set as an exception. Also, disable any antivirus or ad-blocking software, and turn off any VPNs if in use.

Regarding the updates - It's currently not possible to disable automatic updates. You'll keep getting the prompt to update and restart the Desktop app if there is a newer version available.

Keep us posted on how it goes.

EniModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

No help, its not blocked by any firewall or anything. I only can play songs that are on playlists. And rarely, like once a day maybe i can play an album. Otherwise nothing happens when i click the play button on some certain track on an album.

For me it seems like the issue is on the app itself cause the webplayer works.

Hey @Hihat1,

Thank you for keeping in contact.

To keep investigating your case, it would be great if you could have someone log in with their account on your device - such as a friend or a family member, to see if the issue persists. This will help us understand if it could be account-related or not.

Also, include in your next response the make, model and OS version of your device, along with the Spotify version you're currently running to have a better look at the issue.

We'll be on the lookout. 

OscarDCModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Suggested posts