Solved!

Re: Can't play the current song

Georooney
Casual Listener
Thanks, that seems to work.
1 person liked this

lizdavis925

I had my headphones plugged into my docking station. Once I plugged them into my laptop, I no longer had an issue! Super weird, but I assume the headphone setting thing that people mentioned may help, or just plug headphones in somewhere else and see what happens.

6 people liked this

miloman
Casual Listener

I'm amazed that the community has to resort to witchcraft diagnoses (mine included) and Spotify can't release a patch. Its been almost 2 years since the thread started.

Come on guys, don't force us to start looking for a better service...

CookieThief03

only one that actually worked thanks

hmbscully

This worked perfectly for me. Thanks!

RubberBoa

I just had to restart the app after adding some new tracks and it went away.

(Latest spotify version downloaded (idk how to get the vers. num.) macOS Sierra 10.13.3)

2 people liked this

MarcoReus

I ran into this problem. I hope I fixed it. Posting this in case it helps others. MBP, High Sierra 10.13.3 and Spotify Premium 1.0.74.380.g1fcff12a.

I've used Spotify off and on for years and never had any issues. Recently playback would randomly stop, or stutter, and I would get the "Can't play the current song" error. I tried every solution I could find in this and other threads to no avail. I realized it was not happening at the office, only at home. 

The issue seems to have been that Mac OS was defaulting to my DisplayPort connection for audio output, unless my speakers were plugged into the headphone port, in which case it would switch to those. I unplugged the speakers, reset the default audio output to the internal speakers (with the monitor plugged in, so I was "choosing" the internal speakers over DisplayPort). I then plugged the external speakers back into the headphone jack, and restarted Spotify. Knock on wood, it seems to have worked.

I guess the bottom line is that the program doesn't play well with the audio output switching interface. Hope this helps someone.

aadiliscool
@MarcoReus wrote:

I guess the bottom line is that the program doesn't play well with the audio output switching interface. Hope this helps someone.

I second this! I use a laptop plugged into a dock at work, and have been plugging my headphones into the dock. Every few songs, I get the "can't play the current song" error pop up. I just tried plugging into the laptop directly, and boom, music starts playing immediately. It's also been going for a few hours without any issue plugged directly in to the laptop.

noahlarson

bump happening to me rn

Gerken918

Not sure why my issue was spotify couldn’t write the cache after 20 seconds or so failed to play. Quick and dirty solution run spotify as admin. Right click icon run as admin, if on taskbar hold shift key and right click. Hope this helps.

SUGGESTED POSTS