I just unplugged my headset conntected through the USB port (which had Spotify through it). Music then coming from the speakers on the laptop. Then reconnected the headset, and everything works just fine.
The same problem happened sporadicallty on my pc (Windows 10) , but since I updated Spotify this week, it became much worse, it only worked for a few hours last night. Spotify support, please provide a solution, otherwise I would rather close my Premium account.
I've tried literally EVERY trick mentioned here and nothing works. At most I can get thru 2 songs. This is very frustrating and apparently not worth my time since none of these fixes are universal or permanent. Wasted $10 this month I guess, which is a shame because I love Spotify more than any other music host. Back to Google Play I go... 8 hour days at work. Can't be messing with something that can't be fixed to accommodate. Bye.