Country

Singapore

Device

Windows desktop (self built)

Operating System

Windows 10

My Question or Issue

Hi 

Whenever i click on a song to play on my Spotify, it doesn't play immediately. The time stays at 0:00, and sometimes the album cover of the song doesn't even show up. After 5-10 seconds, the song plays for a couple of seconds before stopping again, followed by a notification saying "can't play the current song"

I'm guessing it's some weird variation of a streaming problem, due to the album cover not loading, and how the song stops for awhile then plays again (i'm guessing it's loading, almost like a Youtube video, but way slower). When i rewind the song, it plays smoothly til the part where it last stops.

However, there is no problem with my computer connection or internet. My computer browser and internet works just fine, with zero signs of bad or interrupted connection in any way.

I have:

- Tried playing songs from my library, and songs i have not added (in the Browse section and other playlists)

- Turned off and on hardware acceleration

- Turned off high quality streaming

- Restarted spotify

- Signed in and out of my account

- Uninstalled and reinstalled spotify

Nothing works. Any form of help would be appreciated 🙂

Thank you

25 Replies

Hey everyone!

We haven't heard from you in awhile or seen any new votes, so we'll be moving this back to our Help Boards. Please make sure that you are on the latest version of the app by performing a clean reinstall on your device.

If that doesn't do the trick, try the following:

• Try in a different network. 
  • If this is occuring on a desktop device, check that it has all the latest firmware and software updates, including any available updates for your audio driver.
  • Check your proxy settings by picking either Auto Detect or No Proxy and see if that helps.
  • If you're running an antivirus software, try disabling it or changing to another one. If that helps, make sure to set Spotify as an exception.
  • Try the troubleshooting steps here.

Thanks!

KaterinaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself! 

Hi everyone, 

I had a chat with our IT department, and it seems it's actually company policy to block Spotify, for bandwidth purposes... in 2018, can you imagine?! :-S

Anyway... I found a solution for my case. I changed the Proxy settings from 'Auto detect' to 'None'. Fixed the problem. 

Thanks for the support. 

Hi moderators! 

Haven’t checked back here in a while, but yes, my Spotify has been fixed!

It must have been something weird happening between the connection between my computer and my router, affecting only Spotify, since my internet browser works just fine

Anyway, I switched off my computer in frustration that day, and the next day i turned it back on and crossed my fingers, and the app played music just fine! It didn’t occur to me of restarting my computer at that time, but i’m guessing others can try that! Or try shutting off your computer, waiting for a bit, then turning it back on!

Another helpful tip i suppose would be to check if your Spotify is up to date!

Thanks all!

Hey there @danzy and @jhdejong,

Thanks for keeping us in the loop!

Glad to hear everything is working as it should now.

Happy Spotifying 🙂

KaterinaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself! 

My issue was fixed by a spotify update. No traffic was being blocked in my
case.

Thanks for your help!

I recently got a new laptop at work and had the typical "can't play current song" issue start for me. I struggled with it for days and tried all the fixes listed in the various threads. What fixed it for me was disabling the two microphones (one built in to laptop, the other in monitor). Right click volume>recording devices>right cliock and disable microphone(s). I hope this helps others. 

Suggested posts