Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Can't remove songs from daily mix playlists

Can't remove songs from daily mix playlists

For some reason, users are unable to remove songs from daily mixes, or from playlists created from them. As far as I can tell this is by design, and not a bug. I'm honestly not sure what the thought process was here - if the point of a daily mix is to find new music you enjoy, surely not allowing the user to say "I don't want to listen to this song again" defeats the point entirely?

It's gotten to the point where I have to skip through about five awful songs to get to one I actually want to listen to, even when I exclusively "like" the songs I actually enjoy. Spotify's philosophy of seemingly removing basic features at random is starting to turn me away from using it, I'd really appreciate it if someone could explain the reasoning behind this decision in particular.

39 Replies

same. keep listening to same & same disliked songs in daily mixes.

Yes, this is an absolute joke.

They keep asking me to pay for premium when I cannot even enjoy their daily mixes and have no way of customizing them? I thought the point of this was to customize your music experience and discover new music? How, when my Daily Mix keeps repeating the same songs over and over?  I am just trying Spotify and am not impressed. With this kind of Daily Mix setup, I am not using Spotify and thus will never be a customer. Not a smart decision to render Daily Mixes useless to many (most?)

This is payola, the same commercial music CHR TOP 40 model that the record labels and big music industry forces on the handful of clear channel radio stations that get paid to keep certain manufactured artists and bands in heavy rotation.. so by removing the ability to skip/downvote/remove - you are now forced to listen to the "commercial" artist. This in my estimate is definitely by design, probably incentivized payola, and the reason I left pandora and sirius. Unfortunately, large entertainment and advertising companies have had over a decade to catch all of the cord and cable cutters and bridge the air gap - so unless a new platform goes live, or spotify re-enables the ability to bypass a commercially injected artist from your playlist/daily mix/suggested music - we will just have to have engineer more innovative ways to skip the corporate music machine and get back to our own hand picked playlists.. of which, sometimes the spotify music algorithm does an impressive job of tapping into and producing really awesome talent that I hadn't previously been exposed to. SO pros and cons.. but still annoying enough to search this topic and discover a thread in place for the exact issue that was causing me to miss the pandora thumbs down or mute track feature.

In the age of block/ghost/cancel culture, (which I am not saying I support) but,* not being allowed* | **to cancel a song you don't like** |  is akin to being coerced to listen a song (as a paying premium member) that you can no long stand, silence or skip (silently sponsored by a major recording label). And it is getting worse collectively with the rampant pilfering of big data in this inherited premium economy. So, cancel premium spotify and let them enjoy the revenue from forcing music into heavy rotation with less listeners, and would enough people cancel to even notice the loss in subscriber revenue? Or do they offer a “Premium Plus” where you get commercial free and regain control of your playlist.. perhaps we go back to buying music again and save the $130.80 ($10.90/mo) from Spotify membership for the actual artists that get paid pennies on the track anyhow… just a thought.

Hey everyone,

Thanks for reaching out to the Community.

The Hide this song feature is available for your Daily Mixes on mobile device, but keep in mind that it's device and and playlist- specific. This means that if you play the Daily Mix on another device, or on a different iteration on another day, the same song may come up once more. 

You have also the option to stop a specific artist from playing altogether on a mobile device. This can be done over the three dot menu on an artist page by selecting Don't play this.

Keep in mind that the best way to get more diverse content in the Made for You section is to expand your music library. So if you keep liking new songs and following different artists, you should start to see an improvement after a while.

Hope this helps. Keep us posted if you have any questions.

Mihail Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Oh Lord, but why only on mobile device???
I'm a web developer, i'm listening to music while working to concentrate on my desktop. I'm sure there are tons of users who are using desktop version, why it is only in mobile?
And if i'm not wrong, this poorly developed function on mobile even didn't work for me last time - i clicked remove and nothing changed.
Big up to DigitalCanary) Dude, you rocks, and i think your vision is that what's going on

Why is this not on desktop where I primarily listen. wth spotify???

Hi folks,

Thanks for your replies on this thread.

@MATTRULEZ, although this feature isn't available in the desktop app, if you think other users would also like this, we recommend adding your idea to our Ideas board. Others can then vote for it or add to the conversation to show their support. You can find the steps to submit a new idea in this Spotify Answer.

You can also read more about how feedback on ideas reaches Spotify here.

If you have any questions or need anything else, give us a shout.

Cheers.

CarlosEModerator

If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

Considering it's already a feature on mobile it would be a no-brainer to have on desktop as well. Now I have to rally the troops and do the job of a Spotify project manager? Inconstancies frustrate users. Simple as

No, guys, really, how can i tell Spotify that i'm fricking hate some track and don't want to hear it anywhere on the platform? HOW?

I'm writing this after i just listened at thousand time another annoying track from my daily mix, which i'm hating already.

Hi there folks,

Thank you for your posts and feedback.

We're always testing things by adding or removing features to make Spotify better overall and we’re constantly aiming to improve our features. We’re sorry that this means you’re not able to use Spotify like you wish to do at the moment.

You can read more about how your feedback reaches Spotify here.

Once again - thanks for the feedback, we appreciate it. Let us know if we can help you with anything else. 

Take care!

JeremyModerator
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

Unfortunately I don't think our feedback is reaching spotify. It's really a
no-brainer to have this option

This is not acceptable behavior for a Premium account. I am paying Spotify for music and I should get to choose to play or not play any song on Spotify. 

Just add a "Delete" option to the three-dot menu on the desktop. It's that easy. Or you can keep irritating your customers as you do now.

It really is ridiculous that we can't remove songs from our playlists. Is that really so much to ask?

Hi there folks,

Thank you for your replies and feedback.

We understand that things can feel frustrating when things don't work as you'd like them to. Rest assured that we're always trying to improve as we always strive to improve our features.

You can read more about how your feedback reaches Spotify here.

We hope for your understanding and that you continue using Spotify and find it gets better in the future.

Once again - thanks for the feedback, we appreciate it. Let us know if we can help you with anything else. 

Take care!

JeremyModerator
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

What a dumb copy paste corporate response that doesn’t address the question. Are you going to fix it??

SMB

This is not a solution. I've sent in feedback about this failure five times already. Half of this forum is people wanting to be able to hate songs that they NEVER WANT TO HEAR AGAIN. When this happens, we hate Spotify because what should be a simple dislike/thumbs down/minus experience involves time-wasting workarounds on different devices. Also, there's plenty of room on desktop for a freaking minus button. Come on already! Stop being assholes and have an engineer spend half a day fixing this.

It will also help your algorhythm to hopefully stop suggesting so many songs that we HATE.

This is extremely frustrating. Why can't Spotify's board think of this problem for just a few minutes and before long they'll know what to do. Instead, they just reply to the unsatisfied customers some nonsense 

Suggested posts