Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Can't reset radio "taste adjustments"

Can't reset radio "taste adjustments"

I started a radio station for Neon Trees, and it seemed that after only one "thumbs up" on a cover song, Spotify started suggesting about 3 cover songs for every 5 songs. First of all, I think that the system should at least wait for maybe 5 or 10 thumbs ups before following a listener's musical taste based on thumbs ups.

Anyway, I figured I was getting too many cover songs rather than original artists songs so I wanted to "restart" the radio, but there was no option to do so. I tried re-searching for Neon Trees in the search bar for radio, but I was still getting too many cover songs like those of Tyler Ward.

Covers can be great but I don't want to constantly be listening to them, especially not remakes of pop songs...

How can I fix this?

21 Replies

Radio is now useless because my thumbs up have, ironicaly, resulted in nothing but music I don't like.

I would like to see a feature like this added as well. I generally like to make playlist that include several genres, but if I "thumbs up" a song from a rock genre the radio will play nothing but rock songs. I would second in the orginal posters suggestion, Spotify should implement a way the radio responds to specific types of music after 3 or 4 "thumbs up". 

Anyway, I would like the ability to reset a radio station's taste preferences. This would be a big help.

I agree, that feature would be a very big help. No. 1 thing I need atm.

Would love to have a way to reset a station.

I was listening to radio based on my "Starred" playlist (over 1700 songs across a wide variety of genres) and one thumbs up of a metal song made it start playing nothing but metal and no amount of thumbs down seems to change its mind back to playing a mix of genres. 😞

I had the same problem and I just thumbs downed a whole bunch of songs and it started to even out.

Stil no way to reset the "likes"?

Still nothing on this? It would probably take a spotify dev about 2 minutes to add a radio reset button. Come on... it's essentially made it useless..

anyway, one way around this is to make a new playlist and drag all the songs you want to it and just start the radio again... just dont ever thumbs up or down 🙂

I have the same issue: listening to radio from my starred tracks, and thumbs up/down have resulted in a very limited set of music. I'd like to see some way of opening up the selection again.

@knocksee wrote:

It would probably take a spotify dev about 2 minutes to add a radio reset button. Come on...

I think you wouldn't make that assumption that if you were a developer. We don't know if it's an easy change or not.

I think you wouldn't make that assumption that if you were a developer. We don't know if it's an easy change or not.

I respectfully disagree, it should be a non issue to implement this clientside.

Having said that, it probably would pose big problems for the statistical engine used to analyze/format harvested userdata. Since selling/using this information is one of the main sources of income, they would think twice before introducing changes that could invalidate harvested data.

@MusicAdept wrote:

Since selling/using this information is one of the main sources of income, they would think twice before introducing changes that could invalidate harvested data.

I agree, and take that as given, so that a solution would involve adding meta data to weight data, rather than simply deleting the history. At that point I'm already guessing at how their data is structured. I don't know that an easy fix is in our future.

I just gave that post a thumbs up, though it was with much trepidation, as I was afraid that all of the subsequent posts in this thread will now only be about playlists that play only metal.

I am a developer, though not a spotify developer; all I can say as a developer is that I don't think it takes a developer to be able to reasonably suggest that being able to reset a radio station to its original configuration can't possibly be difficult.  Whatever piece of code is used to create the station in the first place - call that again. 

The only way I found to fix this problem was to restart Spotify completely and did this by deleting as much of Spotify from my computer as possible then reinstalling it.

Hope this help.

🙂

I've taken to creating radio stations off of playlists, this way if I want to reset it I can create a copy playlist and the radio on the new copy is a clean slate. works for station built off "starred" songs as well.

steps:

1.) create copy playlist

2.) select all songs in old playlist, right-click, add to new playlist

3.) delete old playlist

4.) rename new playlist

voila, brand new radio station

I'm a developer and no its not a 2 minute change but it should be easily enough done.

Marking data as no longer required isn't invalidating it, in fact it becomes even more useful to once its marked by a user as not longer required. The data becomes richer. Its actually invalid now that users have changed their minds.

in deed, these is much disgusting. I was realy enjoying the selection of music until I started rating the songs. Then it all messed up. I don't know how to reset or manage the thumbs up of my radio.

Shame... shame.

Here's an idea that gets around the "invalid data" problem.... Just make the data have less of an effect with age. This should already be built ingo the algorithm but they could use a "frequency" variable to make the aging itself (and the decay rate) attuned to the frequency with which the user gives feedback. This way a user who never gave feedback would be assumed to be happy with the mx the way it was, and one who gave lots of feedback would be assumed to be correcting a mistake the algorithm had made.

Suggested posts