Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Can't see playlist followers in new Spotify version

Can't see playlist followers in new Spotify version

In the new version of Spotify, playlists list the number of followers each playlist has, but not who is following it. In the previous version there were thumbnails of three followers, but there was no way to see more (very annoying). Now it seems that you can't see the identities of anyone following your playlists. Am I missing something here?

106 Replies

Now the newest spotify update won't even let me see how many followers my playlists have. The number of followers underneath my playlist title has disappeared. Anyone else having this issue?

I can see it on both mobile (Android, Spotify 7.9..746) and desktop app (Windows, Spotify 1.0.50.41368)

I am experiencing the same thing. Very frustrating!

So am I. Please could somebody from Spotify tell us if this is the latest function to be removed without telling us or if it's a glitch?

It's incredible how Spotify just eliminates the most helpful features every time it does a cosmetic update. It is so frustrating. It's like they scheme and plan and say, "Okay, what can we get rid of next to **bleep** off the users?"

I demand to be able to see how many people follow my playlists and WHO THEY ARE as well (just have a "view followers" button!!!). Also, please notify me when someone follows or unfollows me or my playlists. Music is a SOCIAL experience. Spotify is doing it wrong. I don't care about the "Daily Mixes" and other unnecessary updates. Get the social part right.

A year since I wrote in this thread, haven't seen much if any improvements to Spotify other than cosmetic updates. Now in the latest update they removed the Inbox button for me (seriously, WHAT.). At first I just thought that Spotify on my Windows machine bugged during the updating process, but nope, the Inbox was gone on my Mac version as well - Great job, who wants to share and send music to buddies anyway, right? It's funny how I have a better experience in five year old Spotify client versions than current ones. And yeah, still waiting to see my followers like everyone else here.

This thread is veering onto a different (though admittedly related) topic that is being discussed here https://community.spotify.com/t5/Live-Ideas/Social-Bring-back-Inbox-Messaging-with-notifications/idc... (with voting) and here https://community.spotify.com/t5/Desktop-Linux-Windows-Web-Player/Inbox-and-messages/m-p/1613934#M18...

In short, it appears that Spotify want to elliminate public playlists as they get money from pushing sponsored content. Short-sighted IMO as the real money is in subscribers.

Infuriating that nobody from Spotify will confirm in this thread that the missing followers is intentional, but it looks that way.

Hey spotify developers, managers or whoever responsible from these great innovative updates, next time you can also get rid of song names in playlists. It is also very unnecessary like playlist followers. By the way i can still see my followers from my profile page, why haven't you done anything about removing this feature too?? 

I have lost hope.
Spotify breaks things and takes things aways all the time for no reason.

Follow me

Yep, and you ask them a straightforward question and get no response. Truly the worst customer service I have ever encountered.

In reply to Rues:

I too have posted on this thread before, one of my playlists has grown from 50 followers to nearly 200, it's a shame I can't see what these people like to listen to and now they can't even tell me if they have any feedback apparently.

I went to share a new song with one of my mutual friends and couldn't do it without using Facebook. No idea why Spotify have removed themself from any social experience with music.

My educated guess aree that it seems like Spotify has chosen to cut down on
User Generated Content since the beginning of 2014' The hint was that they
had updated their App guidelines that they didnt allowed any user generated
content on their app platform in the past. There is probably a business
reason for this, except that they opened the playlist description and image
feature to all users but I believe the reason to choose to remove the
playlist followers and other social feature is that very few users might
have been used that and there are privacy issues of showing playlist
followers and they also might have need to cut down amount of features in
order to save money. Every aspect must be maintained and with a lot of debt
in the company finances they must shift focus to the features that brings
most value. Then also I think they need to be less social in order to not
confuse new users, too many UGA could make it harder for the mainstream
user to get to listen to content that appeal to everyone. I think that Too
much UGA might decrease the investors willing to supply money because it
would require lot more labor and financial resources to run it in
comparison with the small user base that would make use of them. The trend
nowmore is minimialism, lean product that only contains the stuff necessary
to. Operate it and its core valurs and other services can plug in it
through apis such the web api instead of making a single product with tons
of features that would enforce lot of maintrnance. See microservices

I've long suspected other providers of music get paid to promote certain artists (i.e. radio and TV). I wonder if Spotify are looking for a slice of that which is why they are creating 'personlised' playlists. It's a shame because technically an open platform which relies on the users to generate content is actually cheaper to run but I guess if it stops the subscription going up then we have to put up with it.

I've followed this thread since posting last year and still no response from Spotify. It's pretty clear at this point that user created playlists are a threat to their "sponsored" content business model.

Very short-sighted and shameful.

@jocolon I fear you're right and it's the real reason they're getting rid of all social features. Ludicrously muddled thinking.

Hooray - my followers are back. Would it have been hard to tell us it was temporary?

Show me a screenshot. Do you see followers as pictures or only the follower count?

Just the follower count. Follower pictures were removed years ago.

My follower count disappeared for 2 weeks, and it was restored after the most recent Spotify update.

You guys should consider adding this back - as a SOCIAL music app, it is ODD that we can't see our playlist followers. Look at Facebook, LinkedIn -- they allow you to have followers AND allow you to see who they are. Why is privacy a concern? If so, allow playlists to only be followable by certain parameters e.g. Friends only, Friends of Friends, etc. 

Suggested posts