Can't skip forward or back 15 seconds for podcasts on desktop app

Plan

Premium

Country

United States

Operating System

Windows 10

My Question or Issue

I have a playlist in which I have podcasts and I listen to them from there. On both the web player and the mobile app I'm able to skip forward or back 15 seconds during a podcast, but not on the web player. It's also just noticeably worse? The only advantage is that for some bizarre reason you can't increase the playback speed on the web player.

I've attached screenshots of both. You can see that on the web player you can skip forward and back 15 seconds (as well as having all that information the desktop app is missing).

desktop spotify.png
web spotify.png

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hi @jj101,

Thanks for getting back to us.

We’re aware of an Ongoing Issue causing the behavior that you describe and the team in charge is currently looking into it.

In this case, we’d recommend adding your +VOTE to this Ongoing Issue. You can also subscribe to it by clicking the three-dot menu next to the title and we’ll keep you updated with any relevant updates there.

If anything else comes up, you know where to find us. 

Cheers!

NovyModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

View solution in original post

15 Replies

Hey there @Ruruskadoo

Thanks for posting on the Community about this.

We performed some tests backstage and it seems the podcasts option to skip forward or rewind by 15 seconds is available on the desktop app as well. You might need to run a clean reinstall of Spotify on your PC to refresh your app version to the latest one.  

If this persists, check your hosts file for entries that need to be deleted. Follow the steps described here on how you can do that. 

Let us know how you get on! We'll be here in case you need any further help with this.

I tried a clean reinstall 3 times now. I made sure there are no extra files like the post you linked said.

If I try to play a podcast from the podcast's page it works fine, the problem is I'm NOT doing that, I'm compiling them in a playlist, and when podcasts are in a playlist it has that barren look you can see in my screenshot. It doesn't show any of the info about the podcast, it doesn't let you skip forward and back, the only podcasty setting is the speed adjustment option.

I don't listen to just one podcast, and I may not want to listen to the episodes in order, so naturally I'd want them in a playlist. This works fine on mobile but does NOT work on desktop.

I don't know why spotify has tried so hard to get into the podcast market, it's not at all suited to it and you can't even do basic things like remove a podcast from a playlist if you're not on mobile. It's appalling. Really the only advantage spotify has over Podcast Addict is that you can use it on desktop, but it's so awful on desktop it's almost not worth it at all.

Hey @Ruruskadoo,

Thanks for keeping us in the loop and describing your situation so well. 

We appreciate your report about this behavior and passed it along to the right folks at out developer team. We can't say if and when exactly this will be fixed, but we recommend that you always keep the app up to date with the latest version. We're currently working on improving the whole experience users have with the desktop app and that way you'll make use of all features and fixes, as soon as they are made available. In the meantime a possible workaround for you could be to use the slider on the progress bar to skip forwards/backwards in podcast episodes.

Hope this info is useful. Let us know if there's anything else we can help with.

Mihail Moderator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

I have the same problem, no skip buttons on desktop version, only on my android

I've found out how to get the issue to show up every time. It seems for me at least the only way for the 15 seconds to show up is if you click a podcast from "Podcasts" in the library or if i go Browse, Podcasts, and select someone  from the podcasts. If you use the search bar to find a podcast it will not show up,  if you are listening on your phone and switch to listening on desktop it will not show up, and if you click a playlist with a podcast in it it will not show up (This includes both personal playlists and spoitfy made playlists such as the "JRE TALKS COMEDY" playlist that spotify made). My spotify is fully updated and I'm using the Windows 10 desktop app. 

Hi there @emond_,

Thanks for reaching out about this in the Community!

Can you send us a screenshot of how the Now Playing View looks on your end when you can't see the option to skip 15 sec forward/backwards, as well as your exact Spotify version.

Tried replicating this with the steps you've described, but I see the buttons no matter how I start an episode.

We'll be looking forward to your replies.

AlexModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

Im currently on spotify version 1.1.52.687.gf5565fe5 . I decided to reinstall spotify and that was the version i got. The issue still occurs after a fresh install. As you can see the shuffle and repeat song are greyed out and the 15 seconds does not appear. 

Screenshot_4.jpg
Screenshot_5.jpg

Hi @emond_

Just to confirm, have you followed these steps for a clean reinstall of the app? This is different than simply reinstalling and can be helpful for clearing any cache that might be causing issues. 

If this doesn't do the trick, could you let us know if you notice the same behavior when logging into your account using a different desktop device?

Keep us posted.

NovyModerator

Hi guys, this also does not work for the online player.. this one should be up to date, so no question here.. Why dont you support this key feature online??

Hey there @jj101

Thanks for reaching out about this in the Community. 

Since we can see this feature from our end, would you mind letting us know if you're unable to see it in all podcasts or just a specific one?

If it's a specific podcast, could you send over a link to it so we can take a better look?

We'll keep an eye out for your reply.

NovyModerator

Hi,

thanks for the reply.

Yes, it seem to be specific to the the JRE podcast ( https://open.spotify.com/show/4rOoJ6Egrf8K2IrywzwOMk )

For example on DVTV ( https://open.spotify.com/show/4Ict90n5ZSbXf1NDKqzviZ ) I can see the +- 15 sec arrow. I also cant see this on any song.. so maybe incorrect classification of the podcast by the creator? 

Regards

Jaroslav

Marked as solution

Hi @jj101,

We’re aware of an Ongoing Issue causing the behavior that you describe and the team in charge is currently looking into it.

In this case, we’d recommend adding your +VOTE to this Ongoing Issue. You can also subscribe to it by clicking the three-dot menu next to the title and we’ll keep you updated with any relevant updates there.

If anything else comes up, you know where to find us. 

Cheers!

NovyModerator

I just typed out a reply, but your website is buggy so it deleted it...

Basically, you need to add the skip back/forward 15 seconds buttons to the web platform. I only use Spotify to watch the Joe Rogan podcast and on YouTube you can skip back or forward. You at least need to have this feature.

Hey there @Programmer1,

Thanks for posting on this thread and welcome to the Community!

As @Novy mentioned above, we're aware of this and the right folks are currently looking into it. We suggest leaving your +Vote on the Ongoing Issue thread. You can also Subscribe to it to be on top of any updates we share about it.

We're sorry to hear that you experienced some trouble when posting your reply. We suggest trying from an incognito/private window and a different browser when posting in future occasions.

If you have any questions or need anything else, we're always a post away.

Take care.

CarlosEModerator

If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

Your website just deleted this reply as well. You should fix your website, not ask your users to use a different browser. I am using Chrome, probably the most popular browser in the world.

I'm not going to vote for an issue, I've already told you what it is. You can log it yourself, it's not my job to log your issues.

Suggested posts