Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Issues with playing tunes outside of Liked Songs or playlists on the desktop app

Hey there,

We're aware of issues with playing songs outside of the Liked Songs collection or playlists.

This is being investigated.

Hi folks,

A few days have passed, so the latest version which includes the fix should now be available to everyone! You'll find more info on how to update the app in this article.

Once again thank you all for the collective effort in aiding us during the investigation. You're awesome!

Cheers!

Comments
Dian

Hey @Chris_Dthmt,

Thanks for letting us know that it works now.

We're here for you and all the users in the Community if need be.

Cheers!

D_Dysis

On my windows 10 app since yesterday I haven't been able to listen to any song on any artists page (eg top 5 songs, albums). I can only listen to songs I already have in playlists or spotifys own made playlists.

Spotify works fine on my phone however it won't interact with my pc as a device anymore and instead acts like a separate account playing different songs. (Happens with all accounts iv tried with)

Restart, reinstall, delete files. What more can I do.

fluondder

I've been having the exact same issue for more than 2 months now. Despite all the software updates since I've contacted Spotify this still hasn't been fixed and it doesn't seem they're even working on doing anything. 🤐

Elena

Hey @D_Dysis,

Thanks for reaching out to the Community about this. 

I'm sorry to hear you're experiencing issues with playing songs.
I would suggest you to mention the desktop app version and make sure your app is updated. You can check the version from the menu on the top left corner, then in the Help -> About section.  

Just to confirm, have you tried a clean reinstall instead of the regular one?  This step is recommended as it'll remove the old drivers first and then install the new ones. This tends to solve issues with the app's performance on Windows 10. Give your device a quick restart as well before you open the newly installed app. 

If the above doesn't help - could you send over a video or some screenshots so to take a better look at this behavior? 

I'll be on the lookout for your reply.

TakuyaSan

I have the same issue! Cleanly reinstalled it multiple times. 
I can only play songs which i liked or downloaded. Searching for a song wont play it. I can spam the play button but nothing happens. 

eargaergaerhgea

Plan

Premium

Country

Finland

Operating System

Windows 10

My Question or Issue

Hey, what often happens now on the desktop application is that I click on a song but it just doesn't play. They little play window does not pop up, nothing happens, and the song does not play.

What's going on here? It's happened to me frequently lately. I have tried reinstalling the whole software, but it does not help.

This does not happen on the web player, but it's kind of silly to have to resort to the web player, when the desktop app should be functional too.

IronSoul91

Having the exact same issue, Mobile and Webplayer work, but desktop app doesn't let me play anything outside of my own playlists 

Dian

Hey there,

Thanks for the reply and the troubleshooting already tried.

Could you try replicating the issue while connected to a different network, e.g. a hot spot from your phone and with a different account on your device? This'll help us exclude the most common reasons for such behavior.

Let us know how that went,

Cheers!

mrmake1

Exactly same issue. Can't play songs from artist page, but if i add song to my playlists it will play normally. Only happens with windows desktop app. The play/progression bar goes to gray. Been having this issue for awhile. Tried clean install and didn't help.

Edit: Also noticed, i can play songs from artist page, if i have them already added the song to one of my playlists.
Edit 2: Spotify for Windows
1.1.91.824.g07f1e963
^ Version i have after fresh install.

kuva.png
TakuyaSan

Excactly the same here. Also tried said steps