Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Cant play songs

Cant play songs

Whenever I go on an artist's profile to play a song, the bottom just goes gray and nothing loads, the song, art, nothing, I can't listen to it. However, when I try to play any songs on my playlists or local files it works fine. This is only on pc, does anybody know why?
9 Replies

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out to the Community. This seems odd. Let's take a closer look into this together.

To start with, make sure there's no old cache files that might be causing this by following the steps here under Clean reinstall.

If that doesn't do the trick we recommend that you remove all lines from your hosts file by following the steps bellow:

1. Open Notepad as an administrator (right-click > Open as Administrator)
  2. Go to File > Open, and navigate to C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc
  3. Choose All Files instead of Text Documents next to the File Name box
    1. You'll see a handful of files, pick hosts and click Open.
  4. When the file is open, you will see a block of text with # in front of each line and might see entries like 0.0.0.0 website.com127.0.0.1 website2.com
  5. Check for any entries with Spotify in the address
    1. Examples may look like 0.0.0.0 weblb-wg.gslb.spotify.com0.0.0.0
  6. If you do find any lines with Spotify, please remove them
  7. Save your changes and restart Spotify

Let us know how it goes so that we can continue to assist you if you need us to 🙂

Take care!

JeremyModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

I attempted both solutions. The reinstall didn't work and I couldn't find any entries with Spotify in the address...

Hey @sethzzz,

Thanks for the info!
In this case, we may try all the steps from Clean Reinstall (the link from @Jeremy)
If the issue remains, depending on whether you've downloaded the app from our website or from the Microsoft app store, try installing the one you don't currently have and let us know how it goes 🙂
We'll be on the lookout for your response!

P.S. The Spotify app from the MS app store is optimized for Windows use & the error may not be present there. 
Cheers!

VasilModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

I seem to have the same issue. Also tried the naive solutions (flush cache, log out, reinstall) without any luck.

I can play songs that are added to a playlist or marked as a favorite. This means I can still listen to an album, but I have to add it to a playlist. Rather annoying as you surely can understand.

I also have the same issue on my work laptop, so this doesn't strike me as a computer specific issue.

Hey @syrebrist,

Welcome to the Community and thank you for joining this conversation.

We appreciate the troubleshooting you've done so far. To continue investigating your case, would you mind checking if using a different Wi-Fi network makes any difference? If you don't have another one available, you can use a mobile data hotspot to test it.

Also, if you're using a VPN, we'd recommend turning it off to see if the issue persists.

Lastly, include in your next response the make, model and OS version of your device, along with the Spotify version you're currently running.

We'll be on the lookout.

OscarDCModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

I tried downloading it from the Microsoft store and it didn't change. 

Another thing I would like to add is that Spotify is not showing up on my discord so can't do listening parties and stuff with friends. 

I'm having this same issue. Whenever I try to play a song or an album directly from Spotify's search tab, it doesn't work. It lets me play my own playlists, though, as well as other people's playlists. None of the solutions listed here have worked, and I'm not experiencing this on mobile.

My PC is currently running on Windows 10, AMD Ryzen 5 CPU, MSI Tomahawk Motherboard. (Included these because I built it myself, so I don't quite have a "make and model" for it lol)

Hey everyone!

This behavior has been reported here, so feel free to check out the thread and Subscribe to it so you're notified whenever there are any updates on the matter. As soon as we have any new information to share, rest assured we'll keep you posted in there, so stay tuned.

The Community is always here if something else comes up in the meantime.

Cheers!

YordanModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".

Suggested posts