Plan

Free

Country

US

Device

(google home mini)

Operating System

(Windows 10)

Until a few weeks ago I could start playing music on the google mini then cast from Spotify desktop app with no issues and control of songs. Now when I cast from the desktop app it defaults to Shuffle and cannot be toggled off. What changed?

10 Replies

I have been having the same problem! I hope this will be fixed and is not a way to coax people toward switching to premium.

I'm having the same issue, I've noticed the 'Shuffle ON' being locked when casting. Yesterday I managed to stop casting - go to my list - turn shuffle off - cast again. Seemed to work. Today I tried the same, and although the icon looks like shuffle is off, when casting, it still shuffles the songs. I'm more and more disappointed in the free version, and if they're doing these changes to get more people into switching to premium, I'd rather switch to a different service.

Hey there @MylesBen and @JanBlake,

Thank you for your posts and explanations. We're happy to help 🙂

The playback when using the free version is in shuffle with the exceptions of some playlists that are on demand. 

We'll just need a bit more info to understand how the process is going for you. Are you able to Connect directly through the desktop app or via your phone and then change to desktop controls? Or do you start playback on the speaker via voce commands and the music shuffles?

Keep us posted. We'll have an eye out for your reply.

Cheers!

ElenaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Hello Elena, 

Thank you for taking the time to reply. I use Spotify in two ways:

1) on the speaker via voice command, and because I have a free account, I cannot choose lists, which is fine, it does a good selection most of the time. Because I am not requesting something specific, I'm not expecting anything, so shuffle is fine.

2) on my laptop, using the app, I start Playlist1 (which is a list that I created), in non-shuffle, then I cast to the speaker. When I choose Playlist2 (another one created by me), it automatically switches to shuffle mode.

If I do the same steps on my laptop (Playlist1 - non-shuffle -> Playlist2), the shuffle icon remains off, as it was set. 

I don't use the app at all from my phone, I just installed it because I could not configure the speaker without it 🙄.

I hope this helps. Thank you for looking into it!

Hey @JanBlake,

Thanks for the info.

Could you tell us if your playlists play in order when you play them straight from your laptop without being connected to the smart speaker.

Also, does this automatic shuffle mode issue occur when you try streaming music from your phone, just as a test.

Keep us posted. Thanks.

AlexModerator

Hello Alex,

Thank you for taking the time to look into this.

The short answer to your first question is yes. 

Detailed: If I start Playlist1 (shuffle off) and then change to Playlilst2, the shuffle remains off. It changes from off to on automatically only when I'm switching to the second playlist while casting.

As for the second question, it doesn't really make sense. For free accounts, I cannot choose but only shuffle play from my mobile. Hence one of the reasons why I'm not using it from my smartphone.

Maybe I did not understand the question. If this is the case, would you please describe a more detailed scenario?

Thanks for looking into this.

Yes, it's while casting shuffle goes to auto.

If I start music on my desktop then cast to google speaker shuffle is off.

If I change playlist, artist, album, etc. from my desktop while casting the shuffle goes to auto.

Hey there folks,

Thanks for the replies and the effort to go through this troubleshooting.

We've reported this internally and were informed that it is expected behavior of the Google Home speaker when casting from a free account. Even though it's being cast from the desktop app, the speaker is still considered as a separate device which checks whether you have a free or a Premium account when retrieving the metadata of the songs/albums you want to play. Since Shuffle play is the default mode of playback on free accounts, that's how the speaker will continue to stream music. 

You're always welcome to try the free Premium trial if you haven't done that before. Note that you can cancel any time within the trial period before you're charged.

Hope this info clears things up 🙂

Don't hesitate to reach out again if you have more questions.

Have a great day!

AlexModerator

Thanks Alex,

That was the assumption.

Annoying now because that's not how casting from desktop functioned until around June 2020. It was a nice feature.

Spotify pushing the Premium, Joe Rogan has got to get paid!

Hello Alex,

Thank you for investigating this issue and the detailed reply.

Considering that I'm using the same Spotify account, I can't see why would it differ if I choose Google Home or any PC speakers or other surround sound systems. From my point of view, it's just a choice of better speakers over the laptop ones.

How Google Home is considered a "separate device" I can't understand, as long as still have to install the Spotify app on the mobile/desktop, prior to casting.

I am not willing to pay for Premium because I know that some features that I'd like are not available. Therefore the free trial won't make me happy either, because I'll get in the same place after 1 month.

The best solution for me is to use other streaming services.

Suggested posts