Plan

Free

Country

USA

Device

PC

Operating System

Windows 10

There is not a workaround that I've been offered by Spotify that works to fix this issue.

My Question or Issue

This happens a LOT and no one from "Spotify Cares" has been able to offer a valid solution.
I think they've stopped replying to my calls for answers.

The PC app (current updated version) will be playing normally.

A certain ad will cue up and stop.

Sometimes I can pause and play to get the ad to start but lately it freezes the playlist and won't continue, forcing me to exit and restart the app.

The other strategy I have is to jumpstart the ad from my connected mobile device, using it like a remote control to play the ad and switch back to PC...BUT it only freezes the app on my phone as well.

Real time assistance and not pre-written answers would be appreciated.

12 Replies
Highlighted

Re: Certain ads FREEZE the app

McSmiles_89
Casual Listener

The same thing has been happening to me as of 7/26/19.

The music stops, and the app freezes up when a 30 second ad is supposed to play. I try to click on another song to play but all I get is a note at the top of the player saying that the song will resume after the ads.

But the ads don't play and nothing happens and the app is frozen.

So far I have:

1. Logged out and back in again with my username & password and eventually the

app freezes right before an ad is supposed to play.

2. Restarted my PC ... and the same thing happens with the app freezing after 4-5

songs... once again, when a short ad is supposed to play.

I haven't gotten a "blue dot notification" to my profile indicating a newer version of the Spotify PC app is available in awhile (i used to receive these notifications regularly and install them when notified)....

3. .... So I reinstalled the Spotify app.  Accorrding to the site a new install guarantees that I will get the latest version of Spotify available for the PC.  After the new install, I get the same result... Spotify still freezes up when a 30 ad is supposed to play.

Not sure what to do next b/c its getting pretty annoying listening to Spotify now.

Is it the current version that Spotify is running that is causing the freeze or is it the ads themselves just not playing?

How about some actual help with this? 

Highlighted

LooseCanonLTD
Casual Listener

It is the current version.
These problems have been persisting for a full year and, through all the pre-written responses they offer, Spotify has no solutions or fixes for this.
If I didn't have over 6k songs saved to my account, I'd move to Pandora or Amaz0n Prime.

Highlighted

lavegacerveza
Visitor

Same issue the last couple of days.  Contacted online chat customer support.  They had me use a test account that never played any ads.  Then had me switch to my account and said the issue should be fixed.  It definitely is NOT. 

Tried uninstalling and reinstalling via the website. 

Updated audio driver. 

Cleared cache. 

Sent a message on Twitter, no response. 

#SpotifyFail

Highlighted

McSmiles_89
Casual Listener

It seems for me that the ad that causes the Spotify PC app to freeze on my computer is ALWAYS the same exact one. 

The ad stays frozen and is minimized in the lower left hand corner of the playlist section on the screen.

The ad is in fact a Spotify ad ... the one that states "Don't be disgusted by how much you paid."  The frozen picture of the ad is of 2 men eating by a pool. There is also an offer to "unlock daily drop" in the ad.

Not sure if this happens with any other random ads that will also freeze up the Spotify app or if this issue is specific to this particular ad which is strangely a Spotify ad. Are the ads causing the app to freeze all Spotify ads?

Highlighted

McSmiles_89
Casual Listener

Just a small correction in regards to my last post on 8/6/19 about the advertisment that is causing the Spotify app to freeze on my PC.

It is still the same exact ad that when it's supposed to start to running  (runtime: 30 seconds).... it instead doesn't play and causes the entire Spotify app to freeze.

It seems that this ad is sponsored or endorsed by Spotify.... and the ad is an offer to download an app called HotelTonight where you can save money on hotel rooms.

The rest of the description for the frozen video for the ad that doesn't run (and in turn freezes up the Spotify App on my PC) is the same as my previous post. I just wanted to clarify the description of the ad in question that has been freezing up Spotify on my PC. 

Spotify... you may want to look into this to see if this ongoing issue is due to this specific ad or if the problem persists with other ads.  And if so... what do these ads have in common that cause the Spotify app to totally freeze.

Highlighted

huyness
Casual Listener

this just started happening on my macbook couple weeks ago.  I just have to quit the app and restart it.  On the bright side, no more ads.

But yeah Spotify is literally full of **bleep** software engineers and managers at this point

Highlighted

Hey there all,

Thanks for lettings us know about this! That's not cool, so let's try some more troubleshooting steps. 

Can you tell us what happens after you try these:

1. A clean reinstall (more effective than a quick reinstall).
  2. Playing Spotify in Web Player or on a different device.
  3. Check if the PC drivers are updated.
  4. Try running Spotify in Safe Mode. 
  5. Check the Firewall settings.
  6. Try a different network.
  7. Check your host files.

If these don't work, confirm all the steps you've tried so far and let us know your exact Spotify version.

​​​​​​​Keep us posted! 

PetyaModerator

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

Highlighted

LooseCanonLTD
Casual Listener

Are you serious???

This is the same garbage advice you all send on Messenger EVERY TIME i have this issue and not once did any of it fix the issue.

The conclusion I've reached is that you offer a broken, bugged version of the app to free users while paid users get the non-problematic version.

There's no evidence to show otherwise. 

How do you expect people to pay for a product that they can't use the free version of because it doesn't work the way it's supposed to? 

How does that instill faith in your product? 

It really only makes people want to switch services to Amaz0n Prime or Pandora. 

Anyway, this is automated garbage advice and you all should be ashamed. 

Highlighted

richgb
Casual Listener

Still happening 30 Jan 2020 after latest update.

SUGGESTED POSTS